how many are expected to die?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TyrannosaurusChix, Aug 23, 2010.

1. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    i received 103 out of my order of 100.. i am down to 99.. it seems like they are dropping with no reason?? all the comets are perfectly healthy.. still have 50 plus the 2 extra they sent.

What is the expected %loss?

Thanks in advance!

TChix

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How old are they?

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

By reading post here depends greatly on how long it took to deliver and what temps.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I ordered 25 got 26 and tomorrow they will be 3 weeks old-all healthy no prblems over 1 lb each and if any drop for any reason they will be processed...

5. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Umm. i got them on the 19th. ship date was the 18th. No one looked lethargic when they arrived.

One drowned the first night.. my fault i guess.

Another found dead in the AM not in the water dish( same day)

One looked lethargic yesterday mid day, it died 10 minutes after i noticed it.

Found one dead in the food dish(cliche, right?) This AM.

It has gotten REALLY cool here lately and they are in an open garage. I can chalk it up, i KNEW some would die... just sort of want to prepare myself for a certain amount of loss.. and we arent even into heart attack "season" yet for them,

no one seems sick or anything.. i just think its survival of the fittest maybe. this is my first batch so im full of questions, lol.

6. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    Honestly...and I don't know if this is a bad thing or not, [​IMG] but I sorta expect losses of up to 10% w/o any particular reason. IE - there is no definitive illness spreading through the brooder or anything like that. I just expect that that many might die from shipping stress, failure to thrive, etc.

And, I tend to find that the losses occur around the 3s - 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months (haven't made it to 3 years yet), for various reasons.

7. TyrannosaurusChix

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Quote:Thanks. Dh and i were hoping to end up with 90 at the end of 2 months... but i think ill be happy with anything over 85.

Ive heard 20% loss with cx.. does that seem high to anyone else?

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:well Im going past the first 2 s's and they should be processed before the 3rd S. So I will post here if I lose any in the mean time...

9. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:How cool is really cool? If they are only days old, and it's cool, do you have a heat source for them?

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Are they making happly little chick noises?

Or are they making a lot of unhappy, loud, irritating noise?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by