How many are pullets? RI Red, Ameraucana

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bohemian.darling, Aug 14, 2011.

1. bohemian.darling

bohemian.darling Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    So I found homes for two cockerels this summer, much to my chagrin. Now I'm wondering how many of the next generation of three purportedly pre-sexed chicks I got from the same place are in fact pullets. I am still a total beginner, but the saddle feathers and deep red comb/wattle color coming in on two of them has me worried. The RI Red and Black Sex Link are 3 months old, the Ameraucana is a week younger. Nobody is crowing yet, and my last two were by 3 months, but they were different breeds. So how many of these are pullets? (Of course the BSL is, but of the RI Red and Am....)

[​IMG] RI Red

[​IMG] RI Red top down

[​IMG] The trio- RI Red, Ameraucana and Black Sex Link

[​IMG] RI Red and Ameraucana

[​IMG] Red again

So, Red and Ameraucana .... boys or girls?

2. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I'm not a complete professional, but i would say you have two lovely pullets there. [​IMG] The RIR and Ameraucana both look like girls to me. Their combs aren't too big and you don't see much tail feathers, so i'd say you got some nice looking girls! [​IMG] congrats!

3. bohemian.darling

May 9, 2011
    Thanks, Xilver! I was really paranoid a few weeks ago as I was scrambling for rooster homes for my first two, and I think after being in denial about those two being boys, I'm now in denial about any of the others being girls. Hopefully after a few more people chime in I will get my confidence back, and in a few months get some EGGS [​IMG]

4. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I would say they are all female.

5. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Well I have a RIR and she looks almost just like that(just fatter [​IMG] ), so I can tell you for SURE that the RIR is NOT a rooster. I don't have an Ameraucana, so I'm not 100% sure on that one, but I don't see much of a comb and no obvious tail feathers as i mentioned before, and those are usually sure signs of a rooster. Also, if they haven't crowed yet, then your chances of her being a girl is higher. Good luck with them, and hopefully you can get your confidence back! :]

6. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Both pullets... but you have an Easter Egger not an Ameraucana.

7. MomKat

MomKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    They both look like pullets to me - the RIR definitely is. She looks just like my girls did at that age! They certainly are pretty! [​IMG]

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Paint the coop pink!! Looks like you got lucky this time [​IMG]

9. bohemian.darling

May 9, 2011
    Yay! Thank you all so much for your input and expertise. I did figure that I was getting an "easter egger" rather than a true ameraucana, but I won't begrudge her the title in casual circles. I'm so excited that my rooster-home-finding days are over! [​IMG]

10. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by