1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many autosexing breeds are out there?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mustangrooster, Nov 7, 2016.

1. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Im wanting to buy hatching eggs, but with all the roos im getting from my own flock, I need some breeds that are autosexing from the first day they hatch.

So, how many autosexing breeds are out there? All I know is the cream legbars, and I know a few other breeds where you can tell if they are a pullet or cockerel, but not until later stages.

Thanks...
    Mustang

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Good lines of Barred Rocks are autosexing, but source those from a reputable breeder and not a hatchery... Welbars are as well and a couple BYCers have those or you can make them yourself... excellent breeder lines of Welsummers are too, I know of a couple BYCers that have reliable ones...

3. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Also Bielefelders and Rhodebars...

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    And I have heard that Niederrheiner and Norwegian Jaerhons are, but not sure...

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It depends entirely on the line, and also the skill of the breeder. Dominique should be, as well as any cuckoo patterned or barred birds. I've heard that any RIR chicks that have striping into the back of the head are female. No males will bear that pattern. But not all females bear it either. You can breed your own black and red sex links by keeping birds that will produce the correct cross. For more info on that, check out the "sex linked information" thread for the charts. When breeding sex links, the chicks from such a cross will be sex linked but the second generation chicks will not. This raises the question. If you have autosexing birds, will you grow out the cockrels, sell them, or cull them at hatch???

6. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I do not know how humane it would be to cull a male chick at hatch...i want to get auto-sexing breeds, because i need a good idea on how much cockerels i have in the hatch straight away---instead of waiting for ages and hoping they are all pullets when i could have all cockerls....

If i can tell earlier on, i can choose which cockerls i will be keeping, and set out to find new homes for the extra ones--and if happen to have alot of cockerls, well i can grow them out for breeding (mhmm, i seem to get more cockerls than pullets these days..)

I had to search those to breeds up.. [​IMG]
    Yes, i was thinking about Barred rocks....when it comes to autosexing them, is it all in their barring..? From what i've heard it is, but like you stated, if they dont come from a good line then alot of the times they cant be autosexed correctly.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

It's in the headspot size, barring, shade and *I think* I heard something about leg coloring?? I'm not totally sure on that part... males should have much bigger headspots at hatch than females and females are much darker colored than males due to only one dose of barring while males have 2 doses of barring... more barring equals more white between the stripes...

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Pullet legs typically have a "black shading" down the front of the shins and tops of toes. Their head spot is much smaller, and more concentrated. Often more dark coloring on the beak. While the male spot can cover a larger area and is typically more diffused, lighter coloring on shanks, toes, and beak. This pattern should be evident in all barred or cuckoo patterned birds. Not sure how it expresses in crosses. But, when using it to produce sex links, it works very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by