How many Bantam Hens do I need for two Bantam roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wmillsap, Jul 9, 2016.

1. wmillsap

wmillsap Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    I have 2 bantam Cochin roosters, they are 3 months old. I have 2 bantam hens, 1 polish hen(not bantam but I heard they don't grow to be large) and 7 large fowl hens. Can I keep both roosters? Will a bantam mate with a standard size hen?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Bantam roosters will do fine with standard hens. My cochins have no troubles mating and fertilizing eggs. I would see how it goes. If it doesn't seem to work with the two roosters you could remove one at some point. Bantam cochins seem to like a smaller group of hens to tend to so you might be okay.

3. wmillsap

wmillsap Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    That's great news! I will keep them and see how it goes. I have had hens for 1 yr but I have never had a rooster so I'm not sure what to expect. What will happen if thing aren't going well?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sometimes bantam roosters fight, especially in spring. I let mine do it and finish it, they can get a bit bloody but find they don't really harm each other, it just looks like it. You should have enough hens so they aren't mating them too much. Sometimes they can have a favorite hen and her feathers can get worn off on her back. I haven't had any skin damage from it and they grow them back in the fall. So those would be two things that could happen, but you probably won't see anything until next spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by