How many bobwhite hens to

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Gordonhillfarm, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Gordonhillfarm

Gordonhillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Maine
    Hello i tried looking through the threads for a answer but couldn't find it . Hope someone will answer . How many hens to 1 bobwhite quail roo ?

2. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    3 works awesome for me.
    More than 3, and fertility won't be as great.

3. abobwhat

abobwhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    SoCal
    i could use some clarification too...

so no matter what the conditions bob whites are seasonal layers....?

you can't get them to lay year round?

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    i run two per male.....yes with lights you can get them to lay longer.....16 hrs

5. Gordonhillfarm

Apr 11, 2010
    Maine
    Thank you , I have another question . Can you just put roos and hens together or do they have to choose each other or be raised together ? I know some really strange questions . I have some actually queit a few but I believe not enough roos . right now I have 8 hens to a roo . so I'm trying to figure out how to fix .

6. PetersonD

PetersonD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Three hens to one cock bird works well for me... Placing all of the breeding group you decide upon into a new pen (all at the same time) will help break up established pecking orders and help avoid the aggression and pecking that may otherwise occur by just adding a new bird to an existing group. And then always keep a close eye on them for a while to make sure it's all working out!

7. Gordonhillfarm

Apr 11, 2010
    Maine
    Thank you for your help . ~~ Tammy

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I RUN 1:1, 1:2, OR 1:3.... ALL DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL BIRDS INVOLVED... SOME DO BETTER WITH ROOMMATES THAN OTHERS DO, SO THERE'S NO HARD AND FAST ANSWER HERE. SOME HENS WILL NOT COHABITATE WITH OTHER HENS [​IMG] HECK SOME DONT COHABITATE WELL WITH ROOS EITHER.

YES MANY CAN BE STIMULATED TO LAY DURING OFF MONTHS WITH VARYING RESULTS ON FERTILITY.. 16 HRS INTENSE LIGHT PER DAY AND WARM ENVIRONMENT-- 65+ DEGREES

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by