1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many breeds of chickens can you tell the sex early on by color?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenphile, Mar 5, 2009.

1. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Was wondering which breeds can you tell the sex of the chick by the feather coloring early on? And what are the differences in color. Besides the red/black sex links I mean.

I know of one the Salmon favorelles but want to get other ones that I can tell early on to weed out the extra roosters.

2. chickenphile

chickenphile Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Feura Bush, NY
    Can anyone answer this for me please?

thanks
    Chris

3. BUMPKIN

BUMPKIN Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Southeast Louisiana
    Sorry I can't answer your question but, if you don't mind, I'd like to know how to tell on the salmon faverolles. I have some coming this month and I ordered 5 pullets and 5 straight runs. Thanks for your help. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Plymouth Rocks can be sexed at hatch with a 90% accuracy. Salmon Faverolles can be sexed by around 2-3 weeks by the males having black color emerging and females have the salmon brown color in their wings.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Welsummers are pretty accurate. My cockerel had a darker/black line around his eye and the pullet did not have the dk/black line.

6. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    The sex-link chicken can be sexed at hatch by color. Theres red, brown, black and golden sex link chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by