1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Many Brooders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChrisS, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ChrisS

ChrisS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Gastonia NC
    I have some cornish rock cross and black stars coming next week so I'm trying to get everything set up. Can I use one brooder or do I need to set up two because of the rapid growth of the cornish?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I've raised meat birds and layers together in the same brooder and coop and I can tell you without a doubt that the layers would be much better off with their own brooder.

3. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    I wouldnt see why u couldnt raise them together.

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you choose to raise them together you'll need lots of feeders and will have to watch feed consumption constantly, to be sure that your layer chicks are getting their fair share of the feed. Also, meat birds droppings tend to be messier (wetter) than the layer birds, so more frequent bedding changes will be in order.

As I said, I've done it before. I'll never raise them together again.

5. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Quote:For the additional food consumption, would there be a problem with putting out one or two additional feeders and then it would not be a problem?

Additionally, if the they are fouling up the bedding more quickly, wouldn't that still be the same problem with our without a few layers in with them?

What other watchouts are there?

Thanks!

-Okt

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:For the additional food consumption, would there be a problem with putting out one or two additional feeders and then it would not be a problem?

Additionally, if the they are fouling up the bedding more quickly, wouldn't that still be the same problem with our without a few layers in with them?

What other watchouts are there?

Thanks!

-Okt

I had (up to) 6 feeders for a total of 32 birds - 13 layers, 19 meaties - it didn't matter, the meaties ganged up around the feeders, any feeder they happened to see, all the time. This gave the layers little chance at the feeders. I ended up raising two feeders so only the layers could fly up to them.

In a fair sized brooder the bedding only needed to be changed maybe once a week for layers, if that often. Add meaties to that and a clean brooder would be fouled and stinky within two days.

It can be done. I did it. If someone happened to drop a bunch of meaties in my lap again, as happened the first time around, I would definitely raise them in a seperate brooder.

7. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I would separate them.. meaties can be some very dirty birdies...

8. Oktober

Oktober Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Rhode Island
    Quote:Thanks for the clarification.

-Okt

9. ChrisS

ChrisS Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Gastonia NC
    Thanks for the help!

10. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I found that besides the mess and feeding issues, the meat birds grow so much faster than the layers that within a few weeks, the meat birds trample the smaller ones to death whenever they get excited about food or water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by