How many broodies do YOU have?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Mar 6, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 3 [​IMG] 2 silkie and 1 OEG!! The silkies both started today (guess they are having a competition, one of them didn't even have any eggs! [​IMG]) The OEG has been setting for about 3 days. I also have a hen with a week-old chick! She is a silkie/OEG mix [​IMG] I only have about 10 girls old enough to lay!! [​IMG]

So tell me, how many broodies do you have?
    What breeds are they?
    How many total hens do you have?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I have eleven with no other job than just being broodies. they are:
    four partridge cochin bantam cochins
    two partridge silkie cochins
    one partridge silkie x cuckoo marans cross
    one blue cochin/silkie/EE cross, lays blue
    one wheaten bantam EE, lays a crystal pure white egg, LOL
    one brownred turken
    one feral game x bantam cochin cross

The other hens/pullets I have:
    six mottled bantam cochin hens
    six mottled x mille bantam cochin pullets nearing point of lay
    three copper black hens, seven pullets nearing point of lay.
    two black marans hens
    three blue marans hens
    one splash marans hen
    one barred EE olive egger hen
    three black EE olive eggers nearing point of lay

3. NapsWithChickens

NapsWithChickens ZZZZzzzzz....

Feb 22, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I have 16 hens - two broodies only (you guys have alot!)

"Tango" - cuckoo marans sitting on 6 black copper marans eggs - due the 19th
    "Iris" - blue wyandotte sitting on 6 silver laced wyandotte eggs and 6 golden laced cochin eggs - due the 23rd

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have one broody...she is a red sex link and she is so far a very good mommy. She has been getting off the nest every day like a good girl to eat even. [​IMG] She is due to hatch some chicks on the 14th! Can't wait!

I have 18 hens and 4 roos but only one roo is with my big crew. The others are in a trio with their girls...all separate from each other of course.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have one broody...she is a red sex link and she is so far a very good mommy. She has been getting off the nest every day like a good girl to eat even. [​IMG] She is due to hatch some chicks on the 14th! Can't wait!

I have 18 hens and 4 roos but only one roo is with my big crew. The others are in a trio with their girls...all separate from each other of course.

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    we have 1 right now,she is just on ole' highns 57 mutt bird we got from auction last summer, shes setting on 8 of her own eggs and a duck egg I snuck in there [​IMG](we had another broody, an OEG mutt, but she lost her two eggs to the cold,gave her fosters, and she lost those too, she stayed in the feed room for a few days giving her friend some moral suport, but now shes back with the flock), our broody has been setting since the 1st (of march), her eggs should hatch the 22nd! [​IMG]. I am waiting for our black silkie to go broody, she has yet to lay an egg, and yesterday was the first time I have seen her be bred (by our white silkie roo)

we have all in total about 30+ hens

2 egg eating wyandottes wich we don't have for long.
    3 cochins,
    2 OEG mutts(lost our little OEG x polish mutt the other day, I beleive to a kestrel, I saw one that morning, but whatever killed her did not or was not able to carry her off)
    1 silkie
    1 light brahma
    and about 6 or 7 red mutt hens

plus the 17?? new pullet babies

our little grey OEG TRIES to lay under the coop steps, but my future MIL keeps taking her eggs, and shes ITTY BITTY, she'd have addorible babies

7. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I have one broody. She is a black silkie, "Blackie" as my 2 year old calls her. She just hatched the day after Christmas. She started laying again about 2 weeks ago and then all of the sudden she's broody again. I only have 4 hens that are laying age and she is my only little broody machine. The other 3 are red sex-links. I gave her 6 silkie eggs and 2 ameracauna mixes. I hope she can handle them all. I just gave her the eggs today and I haven't calculated when they are due but I'm very excited!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  8. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I have one RIR bantam, one black Langshan, one black OEG bantam and one black OEG standard. The RIR and langshan hatched some that I took from them and put in the brooder then put more eggs under them.

9. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    None yet. I have a 6-m-o silkie. How long before you think she'll go broody? I also have a Polish--I wonder how likely they are to brood?

10. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Have the Andrew sisters, and they are doing a good job
    they gave me
    10 fuzzy butts last week . feathered leg cochins.
    and i heard more peeps last night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by