How many broodies or hens with bitties do you have right now?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Oct 30, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Yes, that's right, broodies or hens with bitties [​IMG]

I know this is not the 'ideal' time of year for this, but right now I have 3 hens with itty-bitties (and 3 hens that are still 'nursing' their big bitties [​IMG]) and 3 broody hens. Crazy birds, but I figure if Mother Nature is calling, who am I to interupt? [​IMG]

So how many silly hens do you have right now?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have one hen with 3 bitties right now. She had four, but one fell into the kiddie pond (for the ducks) and drowned. So I have put about six more waterers out right on the ground so the chicks can drink more easily wherever they are.
    [​IMG]

The chicks were hatched on Oct. 4th.
    [​IMG]

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Here in South Florida I've had hens go broody rear 'round. Of course they are more likely to go broody in the spring & fall, but some will want to brood in the fall & winter too. And they do well even while brooding through our rare freezes. Then, all I've done to assist is pile some patio chair cushions over the nest box for extra insulation. The hen does the rest.

Right now I have 1 hen with 6 chicks, and another hen setting on eggs due to hatch next week. Both hens are mixed-breed bantams.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've had hens hatch eggs in January, and we get good freezes here (southern KY). I don't do anything 'special' for them except make sure there is plenty of nest material between the eggs and the bottom of the nest, they do well all on their own. Though the one that hatched in January did take a few extra days (I think it was 24 days instead of 21), but that silly hen had made her 'nest' in the dirt under some junk in the barn and I couldn't get to her [​IMG] She still hatched them okay [​IMG]

5. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    I've got a broody on 3 eggs there might be chicks now though as it's hatch day today, will check in a few hours as im going to walk the dogs over to the allotment where I keep my chickens

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My hens with itty-bitties have 8, 5, and 7. My 3 broodies have 9 eggs, 15 eggs, and 5 eggs [​IMG] Then the 3 hens that have 'clingers', one has 4 3-month old chicks, one has 2 2-month old chicks, and one has 2 3-month old chicks....they are just reeeeeeaaaaaalllllllyyyy 'motherly' [​IMG]

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Blue Mama, my silkie is sitting on three wooden eggs since about two weeks ago. I go out every afternoon and pick her up and look for stolen eggs. Skye, my Wheaton Ameraucana likes to lay her eggs in the nest occupied by Blue Mama. When Skye pushes her way into the nestbox, Blue Mama takes the opportunity to run errands. And, when I say run, I mean run! She hits the ground running and goes straight for the water. When she finishes drinking she tears across the yard looking for leftovers from the morning table scraps. She only stops long enough to do a beat down on anyone who gets in her way. From there she takes off for the closest dirt bath, occupied or not. She forces her way in and shoves the occupant out. After a quick dirt bath she uses the ladies room then returns to her nest box and paces until Skye finishes laying. Then I show up to remove the blue egg from her wooden egg clutch. Yesterday I picked her up and she only had her three wooden eggs. I knew Skye had been in the box so I worried that Skye might be eggbound or something. As I carefully lowered Blue Mama back down, the toasty warm blue egg rolled out. She had it hidden between her neck and chest! WHAT? She must have seen me coming!

In a few days I'll replace her wooden eggs with three ready-to-hatch eggs from the incubator and she'll never know the difference. Blue Mama goes a little psycho when she is separated from the rest of the flock so I don't do it. But, I also don't let her have real eggs to get trampled and soiled. My only worry now that she has learned to hide real eggs from me that she will start keeping a calendar!

[​IMG]

8. Seeing Silkies

Seeing Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Columbia TN
    Quote:I am glad i seen your post, I just posted about my silkie hen came off the nest ( eggs should hatch soon ?? ) she was out side for the 1st time and acted just like you said your hen acted, aside from any needed beat down LOL.. But then again everone one acting paniced so all the other got as far from her as they could, once she went back into the nest box everything was back to the nom, inside & out.. Now I can relax some all though I dont know when or if the eggs will hatch:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Two broodies, no chicks at present, but a couple of years ago I had one hatch chicks in Oct or Nov. Winters aren't too bad here, but there were days they were out and pecking in 45 degree weather (high for the day) starting around 1 week. Mama did a good job and they all grew up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by