How many broody hens can you fit in......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NellaBean, May 28, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    a covered cat litter box?

THREE. All large fowl cochins. LOL. Wish I had gotten a picture.

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The most I've ever gotten in a cat litter bucket was 4 Silkie hens, 6 chicks and 8 eggs. You win. [​IMG]

I had one Silkie broody on 8 eggs in a cat litter bucket. The previous week I had 3 Silkie hens all broody at the same time (in seperate boxes) and when the chicks hatched all 3 mamas banded together to raise the chicks. I went down one night to candle the broody's eggs and found that the 3 Silkie mamas and all the chicks had moved in with the broody girl. I moved the poor broody (bucket and all) to a dog crate after that so she can sleep in peace and got another cat litter bucket for the mamas to share. [​IMG]

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Okay....apparently the answer really IS 3. This is what I found when I pulled the top of the cat litterbox off today. HA.

[​IMG]

Plus 4 babies buried under there somewhere. LOLOL. Crazy birds. The barred cochin and white leghornx are coparenting the 4 babies....so I pulled the splash cochin out and gave her 4 other "young" birds since she is trying to adopt the others. She seems happy enough. We'll see if she actually parents them or goes back to her eggs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by