How many call ducks can fit in this house?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mccluckers, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Mccluckers

Mccluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Hi so i have two call ducklings and I am looking for night house for them when they are out by the pond and I have found a plastic dog kennel that is 60cm wide x 75cm long. Could they fit in this comfortably they would be in there from dusk until first thing in the morning. How many extra could fit in? ;) thanks in advance.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Plastic dog kennel? does it have a way to be closed? no way would i leave call ducks in an open dwelling at night.

For mine i have a couple of options, one is a small square with a hardware cloth door(this vents it) then i have a larger coop that houses more of them... now this one only has 4 in it right now but i cannot recall the actual dimensions.. it's roomy though and could easily accommodate more...

[​IMG]

Lastly i have an elevated cage that has a 2x2 box with a pen that is attached, it's raised but i move them to a ground pen daily... no pics of that sorry..

3. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Thanks going quackers I am going to make a door. I think this will be perfect size then!

Thanks again for all your help with various things!

4. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  6. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    Ok thanks miss Lydia think I will go ahead and buy it. Do you think the vents are abit low? Would that be a draught? Thanks

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No I think it has good ventilation. mind you I am just looking at the size since I don't do metric But it looks like a nice size for tiny call ducks. probably only 2 of my Muscovy would fit in there. [​IMG] I was just looking at it again does the roof tilt up for easy cleaning? if so you'll have to figure a way to lock it.

8. Mccluckers

Jun 5, 2014
    uk
    No it doesn't I thought it did until I looked closer and the the things that look like hinges are actually screws when I said about the ventilation I meant is it too low down? Could you really fit two muskcovies in there?? I thought muskcovies are much bigger than that! The measurements are in mm by the way ( you probably knew already!) it is 29 inches long, 26inches wide and 26 inches high thanks

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Math is not my cup of tea Mc[but you have probably already figured that out.] lol

I wouldn't put more than 3-4 Calls in there. and no I don't think ventilation is down to low ,you just don't want it blowing right over them.

I could probably get 3-4 Scovys[female] in there if I packed them, and as long as they liked each other. just kidding they need alot of room.

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    As long as you could rig a door of some sort a few could do that overnight... the venting level should be fine... as i showed on the one house we made it runs both sides all along the top.. calls are short lol

To be honest the coops are more about predator safety and getting the birds out of the wind and rain/snow than much else... my calls are out every day and even swimming in waters when it's many degrees below freezing..

As for scovies if they are females they will fit into the smallest places to make a nest, trust me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by