1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Many Can I Have?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MakeMineCadburys, Jan 4, 2010.

1. MakeMineCadburys

MakeMineCadburys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern Cali
    We have a two level Chicken Condo. The upper level is the coop and is 4' x 8' with 4 nest boxes (made them before we realized that they'd all prefer the SAME box! LOL) anyway, the lower "floor" is the ground - and that is enclosed 4' x 10'. They get to freerange around my fenced back yard (about 1/3 acre) at least 4 days per week, probably more. And could be more and/or every day if needed.

Our flock is all hens - 3 RIR, 2 Showgirls, 1 Bantam Red Old English Game. (Just had to rehome the one and only EE - "she" turned out to be a Roo [​IMG] ). They are all less than 1 year old.

We have the opportunity to add some ladies - first question - How many more could we support in the current coop? If they freerange more, can the coop support more?

We're in this for the eggs. We love the showgirls' teeny tiny eggs (they're a great hit as deviled eggs), and we love the large browns we're getting from the RIRs, plus they like to be petted and come running to see me when I come out of the house. The Old English doesn't seem to be ready to start laying, although she's almost 7 months old.

For the second question - we can choose from 12 - 14 week old Marans, Welsummer, Araucana, & Wyandotte. Are any of these any better for adding in with what I've already got? Anybody you would recommend NOT adding? Any special needs/care that any of these breeds might need above and beyond?

And what is the going price for a 12 - 14 week old hen?

Thank you sooo much (in advance) for the help and info!!!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Is the 4 x 10 lower section run space? ETA: And what seasonal area are you in? Do you get a winter?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  3. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Your coop and Run are the exact sizes of mine. I can fit 8 standard sized cochins in my coop/run comfortably. I'm not sure about bantys as I don't have any, Yet. I let my girls free range out in the 1/4 acre when it's nice outside. I leave the door to their run open so they can go home at dusk. It's working just fine for me. I think rule of thumb, for standards anyway, is 4 sq feet of coop space per chicken and 10 sq feet of run space per chicken. You could fit more bantams than standard in there. I bought my girls when they were about 17 wks old and paid $5 each for them here in New Mexico. I think the Marans cost $10 because they were a little more rare. I used to have one, a cuckoo maran, but it turned out to be a roo and I traded him for a cochin hen.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. MakeMineCadburys

MakeMineCadburys Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Southern Cali
    Yes, the lower section is run space, so it's just sitting on the dirt, so they can scratch and run around when they're not out freerangin'

I leave the doors open when it's freerange time, and then just go close the doors at night after they've wandered home.

I'm in Southern California. I think the number of freeze days (ie it gets to 32 degrees or below) is less than 20 per year. But we also have 102 for many days during the summer.

Thanks for tips & suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by