How many can I have?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yadaguhtoo, Jul 21, 2011.

1. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    My coop is 7.5 feet x 4 feet x 5 feet and my run is 8x10x4 so how many chickens will fit comfortably. I'm wondering for orpington size.Thanks

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I think 6 - 8 birds would be pretty comfortable in your coop. Will they be contained in the run, or will they free range at all? And what are your winter months like...no ice/no snow??

3. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    They will have to be confined to the coop and run as I have some chickens that have moved over from a former neighbors (free range,can't find eggs)and my own fault becuase I started to feed them when I realized he had dumped them) and I would want to keep them seperate ( I want lavender orps).Our winters are not to bad, we usually get a couple snowstorms and can get 1-2 feet.

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    The coop is plenty big, but the run might be a bit small for more than 6 or 8. I think that's your best bet. Maybe you could let them out just an hour or two a day with supervision? Mine are so much happier when they get to scratch around a bit. I have 9 hens in a 4x6 coop, with a 6x12 run. The coop is plenty big, all they do is sleep/lay eggs there. But I wish I had a bigger run, 9 is pretty cramped for 6x12. I let them free range at least a few hours a day, and when I don't they go nuts. Also, their run looks like a moonscape, not much to do in there!!!

5. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    I would love to let them out to free range and do feel a bit guilty about that but, I am afraid the other chickens will hurt or kill them ( they are supposedly some sort of fighting cock breed/phillapino? sp?). I have seen them go after and kill one of there kind, they are afraid of us so can not be caught and we have a lot of underbrush on our property so I probably would not be able to get to them quick enough to save one of my orps. I have thought about doing away with them but they have been here 5 years now and hatch out cute little babies for me to watch grow up every year. I guess I might have to extend my run or build another coop and run :)

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah, if they're contained all the time, 8 max, and I'd be looking more at 6 unless your run is roofed. With a foot or more of snow, your birds will be confined for at least days at a time (if your run is not roofed). I'm not saying you'll confine them, but that they will choose to stay inside... At least until you build a bigger coop. I would never advise less than 4 sq. ft. per bird of housing for coops in areas that get decent snows (decent being more than a few inches)... It's always easier to start off with a smaller flock anyhow...get your feet wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by