How Many Chickens Can a Bantam Hen Handle?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rhino533, Dec 20, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    The reason I ask this is because my Japanese Bantam Hen, as we speak is hatching eggs and the eggs in my incubator are also hatching at the same time as hers. She has around 10 eggs and I have 70 eggs in the incubator. If I make a cage with a light for warmth do you think it possible to put all the babies with the Bantam Hen? Would she take care of them? I know that's a lot of chicks for one small Hen but I wonder if it's possible. The chicks in the incubator are a much bigger breed of chicken. Do you think it's worth trying or will it wear out the Hen?

2. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    She'd be like the old woman who lived in a shoe lol [​IMG]

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I don't think the shoe will be big enough. How in the world is that many chicks planning on getting under her for protection and warmth? Mercy.

4. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    From what I read about Silkie hens, she would probably try to mommy all of them, and possibly kill herself with stress in the process. I wouldn't do it.[​IMG]

5. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    In order for the chicks to keep warm they must be able to get under the hen.

6. whitejerabias

whitejerabias Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2011
    Hmm, good topic. So, what IS a good number of chicks to stick with a banty (or a LF for that matter)?

7. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    What I was planning on doing was to have a heating lamp so the chicks that can't get under mom will still be warm. I have a small storage building outside where I would keep them. During the day they can roam around the yard with mom. The weather is hot during the day and warm at night. I'm just worried that doing this will stress the hen to the point she will die.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I wouldn't give her any more than she was able to hatch herself.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The ones unable to get under her and have to use an externel heat source for warmth should be raised in a brooder.

I can't help but wonder if a troll or a child asked this question. [​IMG]

10. LukesCityHens

LukesCityHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Fayetteville
    as I was reading this, I came to ponder.....would my adolescent silkie roo attack my silkie chicks?....the adolescent hen has no interest in them what so ever but the young roo is very interested in them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by