How many chickens can a dang fox eat!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kickin' Chickin', Jul 3, 2011.

1. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    8 birds is the answer just in case you didn't know. 5 red pullets,2 whites , my rooster and my 8 week old turkey. Is there 2 foxes doing this or will 1 do this much damage?They only had a small time frame in which to snatch them and I can't even find the turkey feathers . There will be no "live" trap set. It will be a trap alright but there will be no surviving it. I am so angry with myself for letting this happen .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I know the feeling and hate it for you!! We have to do whatever it takes to keep them safe. I thought mine was and then another racoon came back.....lost three from my first hatch this spring.

Now my DH is talking about moving the last hatch out there! Not without securing that corner coop once again. Weakness has to be secured.

I know exactly how you feel and am so sorry.......

3. Denab

Denab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    La Center Ky
    I had Three Baby turkeys, and a 6 sex links 2 Road island Reds and some other Chicken not sure of the breed and a Fox got them all last mth. All I have left his 6 meat birds. My husband is a sweetheart he bought me home 8 Sex links lastnight [​IMG] They are staying in the inside coop/and they can go in there outside coop that is inclosed w/ chicken wire.

Sorry for your Loss i REALLY hate FOXES now

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sadly enough, this time of year it's as many as it can catch. Kits are still checking in with mom and dad, and the parents will still supply food for their litter.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Get you set up fenced and skirted before trying again cause they know your a food supply and will be back. Might even set up a electric fence and smoke their butts!

6. Kickin' Chickin'

Kickin' Chickin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Upstate New York
    This all happened just this morning. Walked the property ,which is only an acre, and found five different places where the birds were "processed"! No bones,feet or blood just feathers. Haven't found any sign of the rooster at all. My question is , would that have been 2 parents hunting together?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kickin' Chickin' :

This all happened just this morning. Walked the property ,which is only an acre, and found five different places where the birds were "processed"! No bones,feet or blood just feathers. Haven't found any sign of the rooster at all. My question is , would that have been 2 parents hunting together?

Probably parents teaching 3-5 kits how to catch poultry. They will be back, and electric fence is an excellent deterrent in conjunction with effective fencing.​

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Kickin' Chickin' :

near those places of processing will be a trail or 2 they are fairly faint but those trails make it easy to get rid of the pred​

9. YoYofranko

YoYofranko Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2010
    York Yorkshire
    Oh yeh a single fox could easily cause that much distruction. Here in England foxes are our biggest chicken killer, i know someone who lost around 100 to one fox. They tend to kill everything with a view of returning to collect the remaining later. My guess is it will be back soon. Sorry for your loss, must be awfull for you [​IMG]

10. wahoowifeandmom

wahoowifeandmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    Nebraska
    Oh, how sad! I'm so sorry. Fox are the reason that our little flock is no longer free range. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by