How many chickens can fit in a 8' by 5' a frame tractor?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by americana-chick, Jul 7, 2010.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    I am making a 8' by 5' (not sure how tall it will be yet) A-frame chicken tractor and wanted to know how many chickens it could hold?
    Thanks!

2. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I assume 8 x 5 is the footprint? If so, that's 40 square feet of run space, so 4 chickens.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    It could hold a WHOLE LOT of chickens....but it's only supposed to hold 4-6 large fowl...a few more bantams.

4. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    4 standard size chickens at MAX! About 8 bantams. That's if you plan on keeping them locked up all the time. If you free range them during the day... and they only use the coop to sleep in at night then you could squeeze in a few more as long as the nesting box is roomy enough.

PS. I have two A Frame coops...same size as what your talkin. I suggest roofing the "run" part and tossing in some fresh hay once a month to keep the ground high and dry with good drainage.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:Good point! Could and should are two different things. [​IMG]

6. HOUSE OF ROCK A DOODLE

HOUSE OF ROCK A DOODLE Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    I have 2 A-Frame coops and I love them, I free range them during the day, yesturday it was 98 degrees in NH and my chickens just laid under the trees and brush along the property. I partially covered the A frame to give more shade , but at the same time left part uncovered for air flow.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I was thinking that it was only for the night time since I free range everyone all day. My bad.

8. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    I do free range mine and the coop is a chicken tractor so i will be moving it almost every day to a new spot. The final dimensions are 8' by 5' by 5' right now i have 2 Seramas in it and they seem to really like it. I am planning on only putting my smaller bantams in there so i was hoping it could hold at least 6 bantams.
    Here are some pics of it finished (note that this coop was made by all scraps of our last build project)
    [​IMG]
    roost and if you look at the top you can see the vent:
    [​IMG]
    Nest box:
    [​IMG]
    Another view (note the wheels. they are from an old hospital bed)
    [​IMG]
    Door for people to get in the coop:
    [​IMG]
    Ramp and chicken door:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And here are the chickens that are in there right now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am thinking about moving my jap bantam, splash Silkie, buff cochin bantam, and either my white silkie or silver laced polish in with the Seramas when they are older. what do you think?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by