How Many Chicken's Can I Fit In A 6x8 Coop?

They need 2 to 4 sq feet of run , one nest box per three birds and like a few feet of roost and a adequate feed space...go check Stories guide to raising chicks for all the specs...
I found that book at the library and it helped alot!

12. If I did the math correctly. Uh, that would make your coop 48 sq ft, 4 sq ft per bird inside. 10 sq ft per bird in the run. ??

I think most will say that it depends on what you have inside the coop & how much floor & roost space you have.
smile.png

6 X 8 = 48 sq feet divided by 4 sq ft per bird = 12 birds

Edited to add that this does not include run space. You need an addtional 10 sq ft of run space per bird (assuming you don't have bantams) if you don't free range.

Last edited:
However many you WANT to fit in.

Honestly that never seems to be a constructive way to frame the question. A better question is, what is the fewest chickens that you could satisfy yourself with in that size of coop.

This will lead to much easier management and healthier happier chickens.

In terms of absolute limitation of space -- what is the maximum number that will physically fit -- then unless you are caging them the limiting factor will be roost length. Assuming you want to be able to get in there to handle birds and clean, it would be difficult IMHO to put more than about 16 feet of roost in there. This would provide enough roosting space for 16-24 chickens, assuming they all happen to get along well with each other.

Personally I would put no more than about 3-4 chickens in that size coop.

You can choose anything in between. Remembering that the fewer you have (thus the more space they're given), the better-kept and better off they will be.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I might also add that I don't use the standard formula for figuring this out for my chickens either. I don't like it. This is a technical formula and in my opinion not a realistic one. I just eyeball the situation. I ask myself if it looks right. I am like the above poster and with a 6X8 coop I personally would not put more than 6 but the formula says 12.

I have seven in an 8x8 coop. Is good. Could probably put another 3 or 4. I really don't think I would put the "allotted" 16 in mine though. But, I think if you have a decent roost and a large run, they would be fine w/ the above formula.
smile.png

Acording to another thread 4 or less. There are apparently people who think 10 sq ft per bird is inadequate. They must have big coops or few chickens.
For those of us who live on planet earth 4 sq ft per bird is fine.

sad.png

Guess that means I need to get rid of some chicken's. Very sad. No $$ right now to build another coop. Very sad. Not sure what I was thinking. Addicted I guess.

Quote:
No you dont have to get rid of chickens, its up to you the 4 SQFT/per is a random number pulled out of someones backside to ENSURE HAPPY CHICKENS. Like it or not if they can get to food and water they will survive. They will not be in the best shape, will probably pick on each other, but they will survive(for the most part, except for a few that get overpicked on, but then you will have a little more room). A chicken will survive for years packed shoulder to shoulder, and give you a egg a day, it all comes down to how tight you want to pack them, and what your wanting to get out of the situation.

Back
Top Bottom