How many chickens can I fit in here once the second run is built?

DavidILoveYou22

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 22, 2012
Eldorado County, Northern CA
Hello! I am in need of some advice on this... I am currently awaiting an order of nineteen chicks from McMurray hatchery, due to arrive Apr. 1st or so... the pictures below are of my current coop and run, and the blue lines I drew in using my computer are of the general area where my second run will be built. The red dots are where the chain-link fence will be attached to a post or tree, and the red lines are where I plan on having posts but haven't had time to put them in yet.
If I already have five chickens (all very good-tempered pullets or hens, no bullies so far!) and four of the nineteen I have arriving are going to live with my friend once they are feathered out, then when the new run is built will I have enough room for all of the chickens (20 of them)? I also have a second coop, the one that we used until we moved to this new house, that will be brought over some time in the next month... it is roughly twice the length and height of the coop in the picture but the same width... is that big enough? Also, seven of the chicks are DC broilers so they will only be there 5-6 months or so until they reach butchering size...advice please?

New coop area, with the corner of the current coop on the right:

Current coop:

Other side of new coop:

Other side of current coop:

Approximately 300 ft. for the current run, and 24 ft. for the current coop. I am on a very strict schedule this morning and didn't have time to measure the area of the second run, but it is about the same size or a little smaller so about 250-300 ft. I do not have access to the second coop right now as it is at my other house, but I would guess about 60 ft. for that one.

I think you'll have just enough coop space and PLENTY of run space! I usually follow the guidelines (for standard breed chickens) of 4 sq ft of coop space per bird AND 10 sq ft of run space per bird. :)

Back
Top Bottom