GoldpartridgeHen

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2018
England
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all!

I am planning to raise a number of different chickens, and these are some of them: Jersey Giant, Bielefelder, Welsummer, Welbar, Buff Sussex, and maybe 1 or 2 more

I am not sure whether to extend the run or not. Can anyone help and tell me how many chickens i can fit in my run?

Thanks!

Attachments

• chicken house (1).png
    chicken house (1).png
    712.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Chicken house (2).png
    Chicken house (2).png
    561.9 KB · Views: 39
  • chicken house.png
    chicken house.png
    592.3 KB · Views: 39
Sorry. I'm the party pooper. I wouldn't put more than 3 birds in a coop that size, especially if one of them is a JG. It's just not that big.
And I would make the run larger, even if you plan to let them out of it regularly. Again, it really isn't that big.
Some of your dimensions are missing but I'm guessing at about 29 sq feet max in the run.
I'm with them^^^ not party poopers but realists who think before they post ;)

1m x 1.3m = 3' x 4'

Sorry. I'm the party pooper. I wouldn't put more than 3 birds in a coop that size, especially if one of them is a JG. It's just not that big.
And I would make the run larger, even if you plan to let them out of it regularly. Again, it really isn't that big.
Some of your dimensions are missing but I'm guessing at about 29 sq feet max in the run.

The basic limiting factor for population is the coop size and the roost length.....
...~12"(30cm) of roost length per bird and room to get up and down from roost.
If you live in a harsh climate and do not have a weather and predator protected run,
you may need even more coop space.
Remember you need space for feed and water too, and don't forget about good ventilation.

You can cram more birds into a space but it may not be a healthy environment both due to bad air and/or behavior issues from crowding.

I'm with them^^^
X3
but realists who think before they post ;)
X2

Last edited:
here is a pic of the extension. It isn't very big at all, but it will give a little more room
The more room the better but I'd say 4 standard sized birds would be the limit in the coop. If you put more in, you will end up with behavioral and health issues not to mention the fun you will have trying to keep it clean.

OK, interesting. I was aiming for about 8, so that will suit me!:yesss:
I forgot to mention the egg box has two compartments. Do you think 10 chickens will be happy to share 2 egg compartments between them?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom