how many chickens can I fit in my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by notducky, Oct 20, 2014.

1. notducky

notducky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    I have a 12x8x7feet tall coop. Lots of roosts. Right now there are 16 birds in there. They have plenty of extra space right now but none are full grown. I have a chance to take in 15 more girls but I'm worried about space, especially heading into winter when they'll be inside more. Any thoughts?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Actually, if I lived where snow would keep them confined indoors for a bunch of days every year, I would limit myself to the present flock -- at most. Perhaps a large covered run with a windward barrier that would keep the run snow free would change things. Here is a great article on space:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I would agree with not taking in any more, you can't have too much space. Plus, you're risking taking in some diseases with an addition. Can you house the 15 extra birds somewhere for a month before joining them to your flock? How about while starting to join them, can you separate the flocks from each other if you run into behavioral issues?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. notducky

notducky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    I have another smaller coop I could get about 5 chickens into. They belong to my cousin so I know they are healthy. Ive thought about just adpoting half her birds as well.

6. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Just keep in mind that healthy and asymptomatic are not the same thing. Your cousins flock might carry something they are resistant to, or vice versa.

7. HeatherR

HeatherR New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    Southern Ontario
    I read somewhere that it was 3 or 4 square foot of floor space per bird.. I have 14 in a similar sized coop and that seems to keep things warm in the winter (-20) and yet no one gets their nickers in a twist because they have free run of the property most days and on the other daysm, an outside covered protected run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by