How many chickens can I fit?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nystra, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Nystra

Nystra Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    I know a few others have posted this question However I don't want to take away from their advice. So here's my set up! We have a 4X4 house that is tall enough for me to stand up inside (I'm 5'2") with about 3 different Roost spots (soon to add more higher up), and soon to be 3/4 Nesting Boxes. The nesting boxes will be a additional box added on to the side of the coop so it will not take up any space on the inside living area. the run is about 6ft long 4ft wide 5'4" tall. But they are only left in there when we are not home. So basically everyday they are free range out and about the yard and in with the goat in their pen. I just recently fell in Love with the Cochin Breed. I have Little Blue cochin roos and want to eventually do breeding. But I don't know how many chickens I can house in what we have... Here are a pic-

a Side view of the run and the house (the fence is leaning over one side because it was so Hot out and there was no shade for the the chicks we have currently)
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

General rule of thumb is 4 sq. ft. per bird inside and 10 sq. ft. per bird in the run.

I'm thinking four birds.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are almost never gone with them locked into the run -- if it is seldom more than like a couple hours a day, and never for more than a day -- then you can probably fit however many you have enough roost space for (need 8-12" linear roost space per chicken).

If however "only when we're gone" means often 4-6+ hours in a day, and sometimes for weekends, then I would not suggest more than 4ish.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. Nystra

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    they are only really locked up in the area at night... and for now when I'm gone. Once my Boy is out there with them (my Roo is only 2weeks old now) They will be free range all day long. the girls jst dont pay enough attention on their own... I havn't seen any hawks lately but Foxes come out and about when dusk comes around so they r outside usually from about 6/7am till about 8pm or once it starts to get dusky. I go out and check on them every hour or so now

5. Nystra

May 18, 2010
    Southern ME
    As well we are never gone more than a day if we go anywhere on weekends. and more often than not one of us stays home. We have 4 goats, a indoor Parrot and a puppy whom need tending [​IMG] so we are never gone for long. And if we are then we have someone who comes by to take care of everyone

6. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Then you may be ok with up to 8ish chickens.

Cute dog btw [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Since you are in Maine, I think you will do fine while the weather is nice but you might run into problems during the winter. My chickens do not like snow or wind. The cold weather does not bother them all that much but they really don't like snow or wind. I think you are likely to get plenty of both in the winter where you are. I like the way you put the fence on there for shade. You might want to consider fixing the run so it does not accumulate snow and protects them from the wind so they have some place to go this winter.

I don't have experience keeping chickens in that small a space or in your climate, but I'd be real nervous about trying to keep 8 chickens in that space in your winter unless I had some reason to believe they will have access to a lot more space than just your coop and run during the winter.

Good luck!

8. patandchickens

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Oh yes, actually tht is a very good point, I forgot to look at location this time. Even if you cover all of one side, and 1/2 of the other, with plastic for wintertime, I would not put more than 4 chickens *maximum* in there, and even with that you may have some social troubles.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by