How many chickens can I have in coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bjklemm, Sep 6, 2013.

  1. bjklemm

    bjklemm Out Of The Brooder

    12
    0
    22
    Sep 6, 2013
    We are building a coop and based on the dimensions wondering how many chickens we can have. I don't want them to be crowded. They will be in their coop/run 75% of the time and free ranging the other 25%. The bottom floor will be 60 sq ft and the 2nd floor will be 20-30 sq ft.
     
  2. Judy

    Judy Moderator Staff Member

    34,028
    452
    448
    Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. SmallTwn farmer

    SmallTwn farmer New Egg

    1
    0
    6
    Sep 7, 2013
    I'm not to sure but, I was told that a good way to tell is 2 sq. ft. per grown-up chicken, and a lot of roosting space if you want a lot of chickens.
     
  4. Judy

    Judy Moderator Staff Member

    34,028
    452
    448
    Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The rule of thumb usually given here is 4 sq ft per adult chicken in the coop and 10 sq ft in the run. Roost space is 8" to 9" per adult bird. These are minimal numbers, designed to prevent most cases of severe pecking/cannibalism. I've seen 2 sq ft on the web but it is more like an industry minumum, and may actually be less than many countries allow now. Not something I keep up with.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by