1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how many chickens can i have...?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by painful100, Apr 28, 2012.

1. painful100

painful100 New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    I just got a coop today. Its a bit dirty, and I plan to clean it out very well, but its solid and pretty cool I think. It measures 4'2 long by 2'10 inches wide. What do you guys think? How many chickens can I have? Thanks (PS I plan learn a lot and get prepared before jumping in. Going to make some adjustments to this coop, make the top able to lift off so i can clean better. And how does the ventilation look? Thanks peeps

[​IMG]

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    looks like a coop for two. it'll be real cute when you get it all fixed up. i can't tell about the ventilation

3. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    It is approximately 12 square feet. If you are going to free-range or will have a run with >10 square feet per bird, then that will work for up to 6 chickens (they will have 2 square feet each because they will only use it for sleeping. However, if you will have a smaller run (<6 feet each), you might want to give them more space inside and therefore have only 3 (4 square feet each in there).

4. painful100

painful100 New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    I was hoping to make a large run that I can walk inside, and to free range them around my property. I would love to be able to have 4-6 if you guys think that would be humane.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Looks good and very sturdy. Small is OK if thats only the place they roost. Its A very good start... [​IMG]

Um Oh and welcome to.....[​IMG] from San Diego.

hee hee.

deb

6. painful100

painful100 New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    Thank you kindly....im sure ill be back with many questions.

7. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    If they'll have a large run and free-range, 4-6 would be perfect [​IMG]

8. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Also plan for roosting space, I've heard ten inches a bird is tight, a foot each would be best.

9. painful100

painful100 New Egg

Apr 28, 2012
    was thinking I would put 2 roost sticks across, one higher than the other. You can see the coop is slanted so one can be raised slightly. 3 birds per stick should be enough, right?

10. Fleabuskitty

Feb 23, 2011
    I personally try not to have roosts directly above each other, chickens poop a lot at night and bathing poop-covered chickens is not fun [​IMG]
    But if they are at an angle where that can't happen, two should be fine - if each is four feet long that gives them each a little over a foot of roost space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by