1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many chickens can I keep???

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by RW19290, Nov 11, 2008.

1. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    I live in Arcadia, California and i'm wondering how many chickens i can keep. Do I need to keep them a certain distance away from neighbors? Where can I find out all this? (besides local health board) Just wondering cause 25 chicks are coming.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Animal Control usually has access to all the regulations. Be careful who and how you ask since the chicks are already coming. You may have to become a stealth chicken keeper. If you live within a municipality, it's unlikely that you will be able to keep all 25. Have fun and I wish you all success. [​IMG]

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I'd google local ordinances in my area and see if there are limits on livestock, I am certain there are. I'm sure it depends on wheter you are in city limits or not and there are most likely many other factors that will come into play as well such as acreage and distance from neighbors. Good Luck!

4. RW19290

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Be careful who and how you ask since the chicks are already coming.

A.In my city, we're allowed to keep chickens because i saw a house with five. So that's not something to worry about. I'm just not sure about the limit if there is one.

5. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Just keep in mind that 'just because someone else has 5' doesn't mean THEY are abiding by the law. I'd still check. Good luck

6. RW19290

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Henry'schickens :

Just keep in mind that 'just because someone else has 5' doesn't mean THEY are abiding by the law. I'd still check. Good luck

I checked. We're allowed to keep as many as we want, but 100 ft away from neighbors.​

7. Cordelia

Cordelia New Egg

you must have big gardens there...I dont think anywhere in our garden is ahundred feet from our neighbours!!

good luck with your chickens....25?? im jealous :-D

8. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    Stealth chicken farmer, I love it. I will be one also. laying plans for the stealth coop now. Chickens? What chickens? Oh, those areteenage mutant ninja parakeets......

1 person likes this.
  9. RW19290

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Sorry i didn't clarify this. 100 ft away from neighbor's house not yard so we don't need to move them very far.

10. RW19290

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Sorry i didn't clarify this. 100 ft away from neighbor's house not yard so we don't need to move them very far.

and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by