How many chickens can live in this coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by adcockfarm, Jan 14, 2017.

1. adcockfarm

adcockfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    Hi! we have 3 hens and 2 chicks, and want more but we aren't sure if there is enough room. the coop said "6-8 Chickens", we have to keep them in the garage due to the neighbors and for their safety at night (there is a dirt lot almost right behind us, and we keep them as pets) it is 8ft 4in long, 3' 5" wide, and 3' 8" high. we let them out usually once a day for a few hours, but we have to leave them in on trips.
    Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would not plan on more than 6. In your circumstances, with keeping them in the garage, I am not sure if I would want that many. The smaller area you keep them in, the more upkeep you will need to keep things reasonably clean and odor down. If the garage is attached to the house, the dust from the birds will get all over everything.

I would try what you have for at least a year, before I added any more to that.

MRs K

1 person likes this.
  3. worms7

worms7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2015
    england
    8x3 is 24 square feet so at 4sq feet a bird that is 6 birds but if you have to leave them in I would
    Go less than 6 personally I think it is a bit small to keep birds locked up
    Cheers Phil

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    the odor & cleanliness: we have powder we sprinkle in the bedding for the ammonia smell and will clean once a week. (currently, once /2wks, only 3 hens)
    there is a door blocking the dust from the house but yes, there is dust in the garage.
    and we do let them out for a few hours to our 1/2 acre backyard ( grass, dirt, bushes etc)
    are you sure we can only have 6? we really want 7 so the 2 new chicks can be together [​IMG]

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You can try what you want: I am confused by your count, 3 hens + 2 chicks = 5? If you add 4 chicks, which would equal 7, it will probably work for a while. This is called "chicken math" on here, and it has bitten most of us.

With chicken math, this is what happens. You get a set up going with a couple of birds. You love this hobby, this is fun, and really not much work. It is fun getting eggs, but really, we could, we should have, it would be even more fun to have some more chickens... but the space is already set up, already built and the space does not change.

Then you get some more chicks, little fluffy bits of fun. They are darling, and it is so much fun. Really, people don't need hardly any room for chickens, and oh, those are such neat chickens...maybe a few more. Trust me, we nearly all have been down this road.

Then the hens HATE the chicks, and incredibly vicious to them, some will kills them, ALL will attack them. So you separate, and wait till they are bigger, and pretty soon you can't stand them in the house... and you put them together.

Now the coop is the same size, but the chicks are growing. As they grow they are much bigger than a chick, and the coop is becoming more and more crowded. There is no where for birds to get away from each other, no place for birds to hide from each other, and very ugly behavior often starts. Feather picking, wounds, bloody combs, are some of them.

All those birds are a lot of work, the coop is never clean, the dust is insane, and really this is not as much fun as it was. That is chicken math. There are only three solutions for chicken math. Larger coop, more coops, or culling some birds.

People who keep them as pets, are horrified at the idea of culling birds, and often cannot change the coop arrangement, and will just 'wish they would all get along" but they won't. They are confined by people, and in my opinion, people need to manage that confinement by either having a large enough coop, or reduce the number of birds.

If you can't imagine harvesting or culling a bird, then I would strongly recommend that you limit your flock, growing it very slowly. Add two chicks this year, chickens are not real long lived most generally, and while it is sad to loose a bird, then you can get something new!

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  6. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    Thanks!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    These dimensions make me leery, especially when combined with the "6-8 Chickens".
    Can you post some pics of the coop, inside and out?
    Are the dimensions for the coop itself or combo coop/run?

1 person likes this.
  8. Egg - Static

Egg - Static Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2016
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]I would estimate about 5-6. It all depends if you want more eggs, more odor, longer clean up time, more feathered friends etc...

( not sure if you got the question answered yet or not.)

9. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    Just coop, we don't have a run. we let them out to our backyard a few hours a day instead. I will go get the pics [​IMG]

10. adcockfarm

Aug 18, 2014
    Southern California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The net is for dust-shavings to not fly out

sorry they are small they were uploaded by iPhone

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by