How many chickens can my coop comfortably hold?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RIredlady, Feb 23, 2019.

1. RIredlady

RIredlady In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Rhode Island
    so we currently have a smaller coop, I’d say 3’x4’x4’.

It has 4 nesting boxes and is inside a 6x10 dog kennel (for locking up at night).

We also have an attached run that is roughly 12’x20’ that our chickens are able to roam in during the day unless we allow them to freerange in the yard.

Currently we have 3 older hens and would like to increase our flock this spring. How many birds do you think would safely fit into the coop at night without overcrowding?

As stated earlier, they have a large run area they are allowed to roam from dawn til dusk. We are in New England so having them fitting comfortably into the coop for cold nights is important.

trumpeting_angel and black_fleet like this.
  2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Can you post a picture of your set?
    It sounds like you are already at maximum capacity. Especially for a cold winter climate.

3. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
    4sqFt per chicken so you are already at maximum.

4. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Get another coop and attach it to the dog run = more chicks!

5. moniquem

moniquem Crowing

Feb 3, 2013
    washington
    I have a 4x4 and 3 chickens, all are larger breeds. With the winter and them spending lots of time in the coop/run I'm pretty much full! I can't imagine anymore in there.

6. RIredlady

RIredlady In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Rhode Island
    We had 6 that were in there, unfortunately I had to get rid of the rooster and lost 2 hens to predators.

We have definitely been considering adding a coop but there’s so many conflicting sizes it’s ridiculous. Tractor supply is selling a coop/run for 18 birds that’s about the size of the one we currently have, hence my confusion.

Attached Files:

7. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

Jan 29, 2019
    Newberry, Indiana
    Prefab are always wrong on their size for birds.

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Your run can hold a few more birds so if you can upsize the coop, you can increase the flock size a little.

Unfortunately prefabs are often unrealistic about how many birds they can hold. Not sure how many chickens you'd like to have total, but assuming you're not handy a premade shed would be a better option, or recycling a used portable shed or playhouse or something similar to that.

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  9. RIredlady

RIredlady In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2016
    Rhode Island
    I’m actually pretty handy, I just didn’t want to put effort out if I didn’t need to (the home projects are endless)

I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m going to have to start drawing up plans and getting what I need to build a larger coop.

aart and trumpeting_angel like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: