How many chickens can my coop comfortably hold?

RIredlady

Songster
5 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Rhode Island
so we currently have a smaller coop, I’d say 3’x4’x4’.

It has 4 nesting boxes and is inside a 6x10 dog kennel (for locking up at night).

We also have an attached run that is roughly 12’x20’ that our chickens are able to roam in during the day unless we allow them to freerange in the yard.

Currently we have 3 older hens and would like to increase our flock this spring. How many birds do you think would safely fit into the coop at night without overcrowding?

As stated earlier, they have a large run area they are allowed to roam from dawn til dusk. We are in New England so having them fitting comfortably into the coop for cold nights is important.

so we currently have a smaller coop, I’d say 3’x4’x4’.

It has 4 nesting boxes and is inside a 6x10 dog kennel (for locking up at night).

We also have an attached run that is roughly 12’x20’ that our chickens are able to roam in during the day unless we allow them to freerange in the yard.

Currently we have 3 older hens and would like to increase our flock this spring. How many birds do you think would safely fit into the coop at night without overcrowding?

As stated earlier, they have a large run area they are allowed to roam from dawn til dusk. We are in New England so having them fitting comfortably into the coop for cold nights is important.
Can you post a picture of your set?
It sounds like you are already at maximum capacity. Especially for a cold winter climate.

We had 6 that were in there, unfortunately I had to get rid of the rooster and lost 2 hens to predators.

We have definitely been considering adding a coop but there’s so many conflicting sizes it’s ridiculous. Tractor supply is selling a coop/run for 18 birds that’s about the size of the one we currently have, hence my confusion.

Attachments

• B16B1BE0-C4C2-4F5E-895F-0D2C13DDC764.jpeg
    B16B1BE0-C4C2-4F5E-895F-0D2C13DDC764.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
We had 6 that were in there, unfortunately I had to get rid of the rooster and lost 2 hens to predators.

We have definitely been considering adding a coop but there’s so many conflicting sizes it’s ridiculous. Tractor supply is selling a coop/run for 18 birds that’s about the size of the one we currently have, hence my confusion.

Prefab are always wrong on their size for birds.

Your run can hold a few more birds so if you can upsize the coop, you can increase the flock size a little.

Unfortunately prefabs are often unrealistic about how many birds they can hold. Not sure how many chickens you'd like to have total, but assuming you're not handy a premade shed would be a better option, or recycling a used portable shed or playhouse or something similar to that.

I’m actually pretty handy, I just didn’t want to put effort out if I didn’t need to (the home projects are endless)

I appreciate everyone’s input. I’m going to have to start drawing up plans and getting what I need to build a larger coop.

Back
Top Bottom