How many chickens can my coop hold?

chickens are awesome

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Hi, our family has a medium size suburban yard with lots of grass and places for our chickens to scatch. We have 5 chickens that we allow during the day to run around our yard as long as someone is outside, which we always are. Our coop has a slanted roof to let water run off. The coop(without the roof)is 70 in. in length, 40 in. in width, and 40 in. in height. We have, inside, a small nest, food and waterers, and perches for roosting. We also have a run which measures 70 in. in length, 100 in. in width, and 40 in. in height. We want to know, how many, if any, more chickens we can put in this coop. Thank you in advance for your answers.
smile.png
smile.png

Personally I wouldn't add more. You could sell off your stock and have about eight bantams though, I love them as they are stunning birds in all shapes and sizes and are chock full of personality!

I wouldn't put any more birds in the coop, unless they are all bantum. Generally for standards you figure 4 sq ft per bird, and that puts you at 4.8 birds for that coop. It's 10 sq ft/bird in the run, so again, your optimum is 4.8 birds.

Personally, I don't care much for partial birds.
lol.png
Five is probably OK, but if you want more you'll need more room!

Coop
70" = 5' 10"
40" = 3' 4"
Total of 19.42 square feet... each hen should have 4sf of coop, so you could fit 4, maybe 5, standards in there.

Run
70" = 5' 10"
100" = 8' 4"
Total of 48.48 square feet... each hen should have 10sf of run, so you could fit 4, maybe 5, standards in there.

Oh, and you'll need to make sure you have 10-12" of roost per bird too... if you do 4 hens then you could run the roost along the 40" side, be a little cozy @ 10" each but okay. But for 5 you'll need 2 on the 40" side or 1 on the 70" side so everyone has elbow room.

Tiny bit extra if you only have four... a little snug for five is this noobie's opinion.

Back
Top Bottom