1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many chickens can this coop and run house?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ndchiks, Jun 3, 2016.

1. ndchiks

ndchiks Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    North Dakota
    [​IMG]
    The coop is 30" by 32" and is 40" tall (not including the height of the legs). The run is 32 inches wide by 12 feet long. I have plans to build a bigger coop, but I was just wondering how many chickens this coop could possibly house comfortably.

'

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I would not put more than 3 in it.

3. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    X2

4. ndchiks

ndchiks Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    North Dakota
    So you think it could house 2?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  5. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    X2 means I agree with the post above mine.

6. ndchiks

ndchiks Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    North Dakota
    ok thank you looks like i'll have to build a bigger coop for my four chicks once they get a little bit bigger

7. amynrichie

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    That actually looks like a nice sized grow out pen for a handful of chicks before they move into a bigger coop.

8. ndchiks

ndchiks Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    North Dakota
    Thanks i built it with materials i already had because they out grew my brooder setup so i decided why not make a little mini coop

9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    If the key word was "comfortably", then my response would be one or none. It is simply too small for adult birds. An often quoted "standard" is a minimum of 4 SF per bird........and that standard goes back at least 100 years....and was for the house only. Assumption......even then, was birds would be let out into a pen or pasture during the day. And that is interior space.....so for a 4' x 4' coop, use no larger than 1.5" x 1.5" lumber for framing to minimize the area lost to framing. Better still, bump it up to 4' x 6', 4' x 8' or 6' x 6'. Would you believe a 6' x 6' house is over 2x larger than a 4' x 4'? Do the math. It is.

The good news is that by the looks of it, you have the skills needed to build a bigger one......you just need some decent plans and ideas on what to build. If you have 4 birds, you have some time........but not much.

10. ndchiks

ndchiks Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    North Dakota
    I know that now and i new from the start that this coop wasn't really going to work, but since my birds were outgrowing their brooder i decided to make something up out of scrap materials that wasn't a total eyesore until i got the time and money to build a bigger coop.. hence why i didn't take the time to put egg boxes on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by