1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many chickens do prefer in your flock ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bbishop, Dec 5, 2013.

1. bbishop

bbishop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2013
    Green forest Arkansas
    Hey Bristol here I prefer 30 chickens

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    15 at most!

3. I currently have 22 chickens. I probably wouldn't want more then 30.. I am not sure, I like the amount I have..

4. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    I'd love 20 birds. I've have my original 6 and 1 silkie hen, 1 Legbar Roo, 2 Legbar Hens, and 10 show birds. That way they divide evenly ;D

5. hannahrachel

hannahrachel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Kansas
    I'd love to add about five chickens to my flock, making it an even twenty... I've been looking into Salmon Favs :)

6. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I like to keep 20-30 hens and several roosters, that's about all I care to buy feed for. I let a few broody hens sit this year and now I have 60 chickens trying to eat me out of house & home, not to mention the 50 quail somebody gave me last month. It's time to start swinging the hatchet and thin the flock!

7. new breeder

new breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    20-30 its the best for my coop ....... maybe after some years i will make another coop for another spieces...maybe duck... who knows :)

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I have been trying for years to keep my flock down to some kind of manageable size
    but it seems every time I get to the size I would like something bad happens like a
    bob cat, fox or something but just to keep the feed bill down I like about 20 chickens
    but right now after recovering from a strong offence from mother nature sending
    wave after wave of bob cats some times as many as four cats at a time I am starting
    all over again with three RIR's all laying right now sixteen EE's at two months of age
    and fresh in the brooder one week twenty five Orloff's these I have never had before
    but nice color..... I am sure by June Craigslist will be listed with some of these
    chickens I deem as overages ..........

gander007

9. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Had 30 here but they got to much so now I have 8 hahaha. Getting more but!

10. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    I have 16 that seems okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by