How many chickens for this coop??

NJChicken

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 25, 2010
Annandale, New Jersey
Hi
we are new members and new to raising and care of chickens. Have just purchased a small coop "condo" for our chickens. We are half finished with the fencing (9 Ft height) and possibly electrical wiring to keep the raccoons out. Outside area around the coop is about 15 Ft X 15 ft. I've attached a few pictures of our coop that has a 4ft X 4Ft floor and 4 nesting boxes. Pictures attached. My question: what is your estimate of total adult chickens that can live in this coop? 4 or 6? Appreciate your recommendation.
Thanks

61491_img_0382a.jpg

61491_img_0383a.jpg

61491_img_0385a.jpg

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from PA! Cute little coop.
jumpy.gif
I wouldn't put more than 4 chickens in there - come winter they'll peck each other to death if you have more. You may want to put something over top of your fence. I could see a coon going right over that fence.

I would say there are too many nesting boxes for the number of hens the coop can support. I would say 2-3 hens max, and remove prolly one or two of the nesting boxes to give them more room. I would also put some sort of slanted board over the nesting boxes so that they can't roost over it and feel more enclosed for egg laying. Some people don't mind stuffing the birds into tight spaces, but I think that the more space, the better. The standard is 4 square feet per bird. Your nesting boxes are prolly 12 inches deep, giving you a 4x3 floor area, giving you 12 square feet, giving you 3 birds. If you put roosts over the nesting boxes (which many people frown upon), you can get 4 birds. That's a cute coop. and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Welcome ....... thats a great coop. If your planning on standard size chickens, and If you live where winters are going to keep them inside, Go with 3. But if you dont get long winters 4/5 would be ok.
Bantams are smaller, and would be easier to have a few more fit better.
They would get on each others nerves crammed in there all winter if there were too many. They are very lucky to get such a nice home.

Last edited:
smile.png
Thanks for everyone's input. I had assume 4-5 max. going with Buf Orpingtons. Will work on reducing teh nesting areas, covering the nests and adding an additional roost. Maybe next year we will "expand" the condo out so that we can add 2-3 more chickens.

As for the comment on the raccoons, I have the same concern. I was thinking to add electrical fencing (several separate wires) at bottom as well as at the middle and top of the fence to keep the Racs away. As for a top, since its such a large space the only thing we have considered was to add deer netting over the space but not sure that will prevent the Racs from entering. The other option is to go with chicken fencing but not sure how it would be supported form not falling in since its such a large space.

Back
Top Bottom