how many chickens for this coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by robaincltnc, Feb 13, 2012.

1. robaincltnc

robaincltnc Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    Good evening folks. This is my first post as I just now purchased a coop and have 2 chickies growing They are about 3-4 days old. my question to you guys is do you recommend 3 or 4 chicks? I'm a backyarder and in a community that doesn't official allow chickens (or livestock) put i felt like pushing the envelop and getting some hens. Right now I have a black sex link and an ameraucana. I hope to get 1 or 2 more when the Tractor Supply has them in 2 weeks. I am thinking of a black copper marn one of the laced wyondatte (sp).

How many could I comformtable accoodate in this coop? I just put it together yesterdeay. They will also free range in the day but there may be days they stay in the coop if we are out of town.

Thanks for your help!

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    It depends on the size coop you have, and also making sure you have chicks the same age or the older chicks will pick on the smaller ones. In 2 weeks your chicks will have grown a lot. Can you post your coop pictures? Also you will want a chicken run, an a big enough one for them to be comfortable to move around in. Keeping chickens in a coop is ok when it's super cold out, but not cool when they can go out side.

3. robaincltnc

Feb 13, 2012
  4. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

Typically people will suggest 4sqft per bird inside and ten outside, so I'd say two may very well be ok, but I wouldn't put four full sized in there.

5. robaincltnc

Feb 13, 2012
    Would 3 be ok? Would love to have 1 more. I have a neighbor with 4-5 and his is not much bigger..they free range and are doing great. Thanks for any feedback.

6. robaincltnc

Feb 13, 2012
    and here are the dimensions as requested.

• Chicken Coop Dimensions
      Outside

:
      82 in(L)x52in(H)x27.5in(W)
      2100mm(L)x1330mm(H)x700mm(W)

Inside:
      Coop/House Inside Area is 25.5" x 25.5"
      Approximately 4.5 sq.ft

NEST BOX Inside
    21" long x 11" deep
    Run Area Inside Measurements
    Total Run Area Is About 64" long x 25.5" deep
    Approximately 11.3 sq.ft

7. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    If you read the square footage it says 4.5 and the run, 11.3 square feet. This is the size for each chicken! In pictures this coop looks large, but it's very tiny. If you want your girls tp be healthy and happy you will nt try to stuff them into something this small. If you really are intending tp have 2 then it will fit 2 some what. ....... :/ But three is pushing it big time. Good thing they will be in the yard all day, that run when you see it will make you cringe. Way way to small.

8. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    If his is not much bigger then yours, I feel bad for the birds. There living breathing pets, stuffing them into a tiny box is not cool. Your coop will hold two, be it small two would probably be ok.

Inside of this coop is only 2 feet by 2 feet ..... It will fit 3 if you have bantams all three as bantams . Not 2 regular sized and a batam even .

Coop/HouseĀ Inside Area is 25.5" x 25.5"
    Approximately 4.5 sq.ft

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  9. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I hate to say it but this is one of those ebay coops that are notorious for poor quality. They're much smaller than the pictures make them look. They also use poor quality and thin wood so rain water tends to wreak havoc on them.

You say you just purchased it... If possible, I would immediately cancel your order. You can build something much, much better yourself or hire a handyman to build one for you.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  10. rendezvous1838

rendezvous1838 Chillin' With My Peeps

It sure looks bigger in the picture. With the common BYC formula of 4 square feet per bird it is big enough for....1 ? bird. Have you thought about a rabbit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by