how many chickens for this hen house and run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mtpeke, Sep 17, 2012.

1. mtpeke

mtpeke Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I have a hen house that has 2 nesting boxes and interior space of 20 sq ft (4 x 5) and two perches (they only use one). We were letting them out to free range all day and that worked great for 6 months until the hawks found us. We lost 2 birds so we are down to 8. This weekend we built an outdoor fenced in area to attach to the hen house. It is fenced on top and sides. Height is 6 feet and it has 104 sq ft floor. How many chickens will it happily hold? I close them up at night and open the door first thing in the morning. I know I can safely go back to 10 chicks but can I add more now that we have this enclosed outdoor space?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Are your hens bantam or large fowl?

Bantam need at least 2 Sq feet per bird and Large Fowl need at least 4 Sq feet per bird in the coop.

I believe the suggested space in the run is 10 Sq feet per bird. Meaning your run would allow for 10 birds but your coop is a bit small for that if they are large fowl.

3. mtpeke

mtpeke Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I have 3 leghorns, 3 barred rock and 2 sexlink birds. I will let them freely roam our 6 acres when we are outside with them in the afternoons

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by