How many chickens have you raised in your lifetime?

TheEggCollecter

Songster
5 Years
Feb 16, 2014
Massachusettes
This morning I started to think about how long I have been keeping chickens and began to try and remember all the birds that i have had in my experience of raising poultry. I ended up writing out a whole list of birds that i have, had, sold, etc. (from what i can remember) What can you remember? How many have you raised in your experience if keeping chickens?
smile.png

I came up with an estimate of over 150 birds I have had in my life! That includes Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Easter egger, Olive egger, Brown Leghorn, Rhodebars, Blue Marans, French Black Copper Marans, Crossbreeds, Black Silkie, White Silkie, Assorted Frizzles and Sizzles. What about you?

Last edited:
I am guessing that I have had around 100 or so but I haven't been doing this for too long and we have kept our flocks small by BYC standards. I have had silkies, Barred Rocks, Buff Orphingtons, Silver Laced Wyndottes, Light Brahmas, Partridge Rocks, Dorkings (both red and SG), and one fine Silver Pencil Rooster. Oh and a couple of who knows what breeds and a single nankin.

Can you tell I like the heritage breeds.

I have raised too many!

More then 40,but all I have raised:Mixed breeds,bantams (Unknown),Japanease banties,red sex links,Rhode Island reds,austrlorps,buff orpingtons,Newhampshire,black sexlink,Production reds,Eastereggers,more unknown breeds,dominques.

I am guessing that I have had around 100 or so but I haven't been doing this for too long and we have kept our flocks small by BYC standards. I have had silkies, Barred Rocks, Buff Orphingtons, Silver Laced Wyndottes, Light Brahmas, Partridge Rocks, Dorkings (both red and SG), and one fine Silver Pencil Rooster. Oh and a couple of who knows what breeds and a single nankin.

Can you tell I like the heritage breeds.
Wow. Beautiful assortments of breeds. Seems no matter how many chickens i get its never enough!

I really have no idea -I would guess at least 300-400 between ages 5 and 16 --- took about 20 years "off" (not by choice, life was not chicken friendly) and started 16 last spring, let a broody hatch 5 in October and am setting out this morning in search of this year's chicks (DS and I just finalized our list - we are adding 8 chicks and will sell off 4 of our current birds this fall). So, 300+ as a conservative estimate.

I started with 4 in a very small coop and soon built a large coop with run and my flock keeps growing! Good luck with your hens. Have you received your chicks yet this week?

No, the shipment to the feed store didn't go so well so the woman at the feed store is going to keep an eye on the chicks over the weekend to make sure they are all healthy. I will be getting them either next Monday or Wednesday

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom