How many chickens? Roof extension

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gammond, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Gammond

Gammond Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    We are extending the roof the entire length of the coop. The new inside measurements will be 8 x 16. They will have a massive run outside. How many chickens could I fit in here? [​IMG]

2. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    Anyone?

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I'm wondering about ventilation; are you putting in hardware cloth panels along the ridgeline! I also hope that both ends will be all hardware cloth, or the whole thing looks scary to me. Will it be moved to a shady spot? The base 128 sq. ft. in theory will hold about thirty birds, but the type of building doesn't support those numbers at al, IMO. How will you clean it out? It must be tall enough to walk in, at least at the peak? Mary

4. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I see it must be pretty tall! Oops! Mary

5. Gammond

Aug 31, 2016
    Central BC, Canada
    Yes I plan on getting the whole thing up to snuff with a lot of ventilation.i cannot do hardware cloth over the entire ends, as it gets to -35 here and I don't want them to get blowed on directly. After doing some more roost measurements today, I think I will try for 25 chickens.

6. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Do the hardware cloth on the ends, and in winter, attach two layers of clear(ish) plastic sheeting over the lower 2/3 of the open areas. Ventilation, light, and wind protection all in one. I would sheet off the north end and be in good shape. Mary

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Create a nice overhang with your last set of panels and that should block a large percent of the wind from blowing in and allow you to leave the top of that end open.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Problem with A-frames is head room, for chickens and keepers.
    8 foot wide base gets small fast as you go up.
    Once you get roosts up high enough over nests, space starts getting really tight, they need room to get up and down from roosts.

9. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed. Simple equilateral triangle A-frames tend to lose a lot both in head room for the people and floor space for the chickens. And 25 chickens should ideally have at least 100 Ft2 of floor space inside the coop (4 / bird) especially if they may be 'cooped up' for awhile due to weather. That's just the coop itself, the run is seperate and should be at about 10 Ft2 per bird. Again, ideally.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What is your location?

The 4/10 thing is minimal....more may be needed in harsh winter climates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by