How many chickens will my yard hold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Merlin1650, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Merlin1650

Merlin1650 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2012
    We have a fenced in backyard with heavy bush growth all around and a chain link fence. It's a square and approximately 70x80 in size--that measurement is in feet. It's about 85% grass with some random plants/flowers. Is this enough size for 4-6 laying hens? I was thinking Rhode Island Reds because they are plentiful to get around here. We're in Nashville, Tn. Sorry if this is on wrong forum but it didn't seem to fit anywhere else. We're picking up a coop this afternoon and we'll be reading on how to take care of our chickens. Any quick tips/tricks is appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    that will be enough room for at least 6 chickens. they are small enough to go through the bushes pretty well so those arent much of a obsticle.

3. Merlin1650

Sep 26, 2012
    can they go through a chain link fence? If they get out will they come back? There are dogs so if they venture into the dogs yard it's most likely over for them...

4. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    No, they cant go through standard chain link fences. Im not sure if theyd come back,... mine wouldnt

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The way math works out your yard will hold 5600 chickens at one square foot per chicken. Way more dense than battery operations. Seriously, the number of chickens the yard can hold varies with what you want the yard to look like and you want it to do for your chickens. For good grazing and allowing for it to regrow. the number comes way down. Yes, your yard can easily hold 4-6 hens.
    How high is the chain link fence? Some of the fences they can easily get over.
    And keep reading about them, the more you know the easier it will be.

6. Merlin1650

Sep 26, 2012
    I was thinking around 5600 birds also but my wife said that might be too much so we scaled down just a bit to 4-6. The fence is only 5 ft. high. We'll probably lose some if they decide to stray too far as there are dogs.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  7. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

my yard is oh most a full acre and i have about 25 birds here 4 are ducks the rest hens roos pairs and chicks all free range i have no fence around my yard but they stay in the yard no other dogs would come in my yard as i have 3 dogs myself

8. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    haha....i think u would have more eggs than u could eat if u got 5600 hens

5ft. is probably high enough, though 1 or 2 might get over. you will know if u have to change anything after you get them

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Whether or not they'll go over the fence depends on breed and age. My fat Orpingtons don't fly up there once grown, but when young they will. I'm just glad I don't have dogs next door. Mine do come back if they do that. Most breeds fly more than Orps though. I have a 2 year old dark cornish that flies over one gate every day for a couple hours then comes back in. That gal is all muscle and I figure if she gets in trouble it's her own fault, though I don't want to see her dead. I just refuse to remodel a gate because of one stupid bird lol.

10. APDoxies

APDoxies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Olive Branch, IL
    We clip wings to keep ours in & so far - no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by