How many chickens will this size coop hold comfortably?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sdsharko, Aug 13, 2011.

1. sdsharko

sdsharko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    After purchasing a undersized coop I am going to start building the new one tomorrow. I plan on having the run 8ft x 4ft, and the coop an additional 4ft x 4ft. I also wanted a reccomendation on how large to make the nesting boxes for heavies? I have not made a cut yet so any input would be great! I currently have 3 buffs but would like to possibly pick up two more unless the space in not adequate.

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:Generally speaking, from the dimensions you gave four would be the very most( you didn't mention the size of the current coop). Also, the nesting boxes should be roughly 12" square or so. Again these are general statements. Two or three birds would be more ideal for those dimensions as the birds could be crowded at that size. Be sure that the nesting boxes are lower than the roost. Also remember that everything you add to the coop/run take away chicken space.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    You might have room for 1 more if they get along, but not two unless they're all best friends and you never need to lock them in the coop for long periods (weather).

If you want to add 2 more, I would go with 8x6 and 4x6 to avoid any issues with crowding.

4. sdsharko

sdsharko Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    San Diego, Ca
    Thats the info I was looking for, it makes total sense to go 8x6 run and 4 x 6 coop and it saves me alot of cuts in the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by