How many chickens would be comfortable in my coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KingOfThePeeps, Mar 7, 2012.

1. KingOfThePeeps

KingOfThePeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    I have a 7x4 coop that is six feet high and a run that is 21x5' including the space under the coop. I have a 35x50 fenced in yard that they get to roam around in during the day. How many chickens would be comfortable?

2. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    I would check to see if there are 'regulations' in your area. For us, we need to provide 2 sq feet per chicken in the coop, and 8.6 sq feet per bird in the run. I guess it all depends on your comfort level.

3. KingOfThePeeps

Feb 25, 2012
    I was thinking of the comfort level of the birds.

4. j and bs hens

j and bs hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Vancouver Island
    I wish I could give you an answer, we have 6 hens. Our coop is 20 sqft on top, and another open 20 on the bottom, and the run is 60. We gave the girls more room then required. Happy hens give more eggs. We are only allowed to have up to 6 chickens at our current location. Good luck!!:)

5. xC0000005

xC0000005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    Kirkland, WA
    Oh, if only you could see the tiny coop we can't get the birds to stop using. I built a mini "red barn" coop - 4x4 roughly, and about six feet high at the peak, for four bantams. THe plan was to upgrade the coop when we upgraded our flock. I had 12 barred rocks which took over and all 12 roosted there, in three lines of four. They basically slept in the coop and layed eggs in the coop, anything else they were out in the run (which is huge). I built a bigger coop. They go back to the little one. Sigh.

6. KingOfThePeeps

Feb 25, 2012
    That's Funny! I put in a couple of well planned roosts, and the girls sleep on the the pophole door, or piled on top of one another in an egg box. There is really no sense planning stuff out when it comes to chickens. They finally started using the egg boxes to lay eggs!

7. KingOfThePeeps

Feb 25, 2012
    I have six hens and a roo right now. I was thinking of letting one of the girls go broody, but I'm not sure if I need more space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by