How many chickens would you suggest?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Someone.Summer, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Someone.Summer

Someone.Summer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    I have a 10x18-20' coop and a 10x8' coop. The chickens are allowed to free range daily from 6am to 9pm on 8 acres of pasture and have access to about 6 acres of wooded area. How many chickens do you think it would comfortably keep? What would be the maximum?

2. chicken grandma

chicken grandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    west michigan
    What state are you in? Weather makes a difference.

3. Someone.Summer

Jul 4, 2011
    I live in CT

4. Someone.Summer

Jul 4, 2011
    bump please

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    The general rule is 3 to 5 square feet of coop per bird - more is better! In your case do not count all of your pasture and woods unless you intend to cull a whole lot of birds before winter.

Heavy snows and active predators (raccoons will hunt during daylight especially in fall when youngsters are trying to fatten up) will keep your birds mostly inside during winter months. If you have any covered, secure run areas then go ahead and factor that in.

6. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    I suggest more.

[​IMG]

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    More square feet per bird or more chickens??

8. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    That is a hard question to answer. What is the purpose of the chickens? Meaties won't be around long and you can get a lot of them. Egg production, less of them. Dual purpose, I would go with 4-5 sq. feet per chicken. Large breeds, 4-5 sq feet per bird. Largest breed (Jersey Giants) 5-6 sq. feet per bird. Bantams, 3-4 sq. feet per bird. Are you going to breed your own? Incubator hatching or broody hen? One flock or two (for breeding rotation)? How much can you afford in feed per month? I know you said that you want to free range, but what about winter months when the snow is deep (run space)?

Once you figure it out, then it should be rather easy to figure out on how many you want/can have. This is the list I went through when deciding on how many I wanted, purpose and breed.

9. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    You have enough to be a chicken farmer, not just a backyarder.

10. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Quote:Why, more chickens of course. I always suggest more chickens. I teach chicken-math [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by