1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

how many chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cami, Jul 25, 2010.

1. cami

cami In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    i have a 4.5x3 ft. coop with 2 nest boxes and i already have 2 BOs 2 silky hens and 1 silky roo and 1 aracona
    they all free range can i add 1 Americana/EE?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Songster

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Most will say that you are overloaded as it is, but if they free range all the time, and have a covered run area for bad weather, I'd say try it. I'm WAY over the recommended density, but mine range all day every day, and have a sheltered run for rainy days. We don't have much in the way of predators, so I never have to lock them up.

If they start showing signs of feather plucking or aggression you may have to build something larger or get rid of some birds.

3. cami

cami In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    ok thanks and yeah they free range all day and their is a small forest that they go into when they get wet. there are absolutely no predators besides hawks (iv only seen one since i got my chickens) and they have never landed in the area the chickens free range in or even tried to get the chickens. ill look out for feather loss, pecking, ect...

4. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Songster

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Overcrowding is less of a problem in the spring, summer, and fall but winter, when the weather turns cold that coop gets full quick when they dont want to come out. I try to keep mine to a level that will allow the birds to remain confined during these times without causing trouble. I dont like to have a problem before i fix it. 7 P's = Prior Proper Planning Prevents (Piss) Poor Performance

To me it seems like you have enough in that coop, the solution is to build on or add another coop since too many chickens are never enough.

If you are in a warm climate area then it might not be a problem.[​IMG]

5. cami

cami In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    im not really in a warm climate but how cold is it where you live? here it dosent get under about 35 F is that to cold for them?
    the BOs and the silkies are supposed to be good in winter

6. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Songster

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    My chickens will come outside and mill around as long as the temps are above 20-25 degrees or so. I live in SW OH so temps in Jan / Feb can get down in the teens or lower and stay there for days. If we have snow they will still come out if its just a dusting but they will not get out in the deeper snow unless I shovel them out. I'm not sure who owns who?

[​IMG]

7. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Songster

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:If your low is 35, you should be okay. Even when I wasn't overcrowded, and when the temps would get in the teens, some of my birds just prefer to roost in the run. After a couple weeks of fighting them, I just let them do it. 35 isn't all that cold for most chickens.

8. cami

cami In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    ok good last year it only got cold enough to snow twice...then it didnt snow....but thats western Washington for ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: