How many chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CathyB, Apr 21, 2008.

1. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    [​IMG]

This is the shed we are converting into a coop. How many chickens do you think this old shed would house. I do not have the measurements but this pic might help! I have 10 already ordered but I might want to get a few more. I don't even have them yet and wanting more!!

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    that looks like a 12w by 16l shed.so you can have 50 hens in there.

3. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Wow! I do not know if the outsdie run we are planning would be big enought for that many hens, but at least I know my 10 and future ones will be fine!

4. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Ok, I just measured. It is 8x12. So maybe a little less than 50, but still plenty room for me to get more chickens in the future!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    (edited because you were posting about actual measurements while I was typing [​IMG])

So, up to two dozen or so, assuming sufficient run space [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  6. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Thanks!! That's what I just came up with, 24 chickens. I am getting 10 one day olds May 16th and I want to expand eventually. I really want balck australorps and maybe some orps and silkies one day. I can't wait to get started on the shed!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  7. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Have fun with your project--good thing you'll have some room for your Australorps! Seven days and counting for my first batch of babies--my buff orps come 9 days later. [​IMG]

8. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Depending on your run size and climate, you could fit far mroe than 24 in there. Two square feet per bird for the coop is the standard, and although it seems really small keep in mind they are outside all day. They are only in the coop to sleep and lay eggs, and they do both cuddled up close to each other.

9. newchickmom

newchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2007
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Mine is similar to yours, it's 8'X16' and I have 20 standard size hens in it with a 16'x20' outdoor run.

10. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Thanks! I am still going over with DH how big I want the outside run. He feels I want to go too big, I say what he wants is too small [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by