How many chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickensXOXO, Nov 28, 2011.

1. ChickensXOXO

ChickensXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    How many Silkies is acceptable to keep enclosed in 10ft x 10ft run?

Don't want to overcrowd.

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I go by the rule of 1 chicken for every 4 feet but I think bantams can have less

3. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Quote:I currently only have 3 in the pen, and I was wondering if I'd have room for another pullet later on.

I do have another pen though, but I don't like it cause it's short (in height). [​IMG]

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Oh I'm sure adding one more bird won't hurt

5. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Quote:Good to know, but you know how addictive Silkies are... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not wanting to overcrowd is keeping me from buying too many though.
    AND I definitely don't need to start another pen.... [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

More room is ALWAYS better. Many use the 10 sq. ft of run space as a minimum guideline, often giving bantams less than that. But your birds will be more content with the most amount of space you can give them. IMO you could easily add another pair and not seem crowded. [​IMG] Silkies are a mild breed, and that would give each bird a little over 15sq. ft of space each, which is a good amount of space for that breed. [​IMG]

7. ChickensXOXO

Apr 13, 2011
    The Carolinas
    Quote:Thanks! Come Spring, I know I'm going to want to add another, so that's good to know.

My other chickens free range, but since Silkies aren't good for free ranging, I want them to be happy with what they got.

I do, however, try to free range them daily when I can watch over them.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I would add 2 at least. It's easier to combine like numbers and like sizes.

9. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I made my Silkie coop out of pallets, it is not perfect, but it keeps them warm & dry inside. Plan to ass trim strips to the sides and clear caulk it. All I had was a jig saw & drill and bricks as my saw horse. So some of my cuts were a bit off the mark. [​IMG]

Their run is 15x14, their coop is 42 in x 52 in. I want to get either Bantams or a couple more Silkies in the spring. They have lots of room to run, and my big hens who are still light enough to fly up, want to get in with the babies to snag their food. [​IMG]
    Am still waiting to see if Nonnie is truly a girl. I know Cynder is a boy, he started crowing when they were still in the house during the 30 day separation. [​IMG]

First coat of paint (no wind yesterday), hope to get the second coat on today, rain is called for this weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cynder & Nonnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by