How Many Chicks can a broody handle? Answer is 9 with PICS!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, May 13, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    One of my Cochin hens is broody, 2 of her eggs have hatched, I also hatched 7 Barred Rocks yesterday.
    I stuck 2 chicks under the hen last night and checked this morning she is doing very well with them. I have 5 more BR chicks in the hatcher wondering if she could handle those too? That would be 9 chicks and she is a first time broody. She is doing very good and seems to be a very loving mother.

Took these pics, can't see all the chicks but what you can are the Barred Rocks, the 2 Cochins were under Mama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One Head one fluffy chick butt!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If it is as standard size cochin, she should be able to handle 9 chicks easily. If she is a bantam, I would consider that too many. The key is, can she cover them all and keep them warm when they are 4 weeks old.

3. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    She has all nine under her now and is doing awesome with them. I will try to get pics later and post them.

4. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Hey guys you underestimate your LF broody hen capacity.

Broody hen of a size of ORP should handle up to 20 LF chicken eggs with no problem.

My mother hatched a doz of turkey or duck eggs under

heavy breed chicken hen.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  5. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I had a little black banty one time that was notorious for hatching. she would go broody and stay that way for ever. She was constantly hatching out 16-19 eggs at a time. ALL hers. she would go missing for a month and we would think she was dead. She did this a few times to us.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Cute pics! She's a pretty hen!

7. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:She is my Partridge Cochin. I have some more girls and a boy growing in the brooder for her. She is very sweet , a good layer and is being a great Mama to these babies. I am nervous about them, I keep checking on them every couple of hours.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

At least she's a LF Cochin. Can you imagine my Shadow, my bantam Cochin (and small even for a banty) now on Day two of her incubation, running around with these chunky standard BBS Orpington chicks she is going to hatch?That will be quite a sight!

9. Lorettawyandotte

Lorettawyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    white springs, fl
    gorgeous hen and the babies are precious...good shots...

10. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:For the first week Shadow would be ok, but after that she could hide under the babies [​IMG]

I am just glad this went much better than the Bantam Mottled girls, luckily I caught it before more than one chick was killed but it could have been ugly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by