How many chicks can a Momma hen care for?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blue-eyed Red Bird, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Blue-eyed Red Bird

Blue-eyed Red Bird Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Pike County, Ohio
    I have a Momma that hatched 3 of 14 eggs she was sitting on last Friday, then left the nest 36 hrs later. I took 8 of the remaining eggs, put them in bucket with straw, and have successfully hatched 1-2 more each day since - The evening after they hatch, I've taken them out to Momma (as people here suggested) and she has lovingly let them all under her wing. That is, until tonight. This was #8 tonight, and she was not so receptive - didn't get up and adjust herself to let him under like she has with the others. Finally, one of the biggest chicks came out to go to the waterer, and he snuck under. I have to go back out and check shortly to make sure everybody is okay and happy!

Can someone please tell me how many chicks a Momma hen can handle? Am I exceeding her abilities? (I have 3 more eggs that may hatch still.)

Thanks!!!

2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    until they stop fitting under her. lol.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    My favorite little banty once took care of 18. She kept her wings outstretched so they could all fit under there.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have 10 under a momma hen this evening, everything is going fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by