How many chicks can I raise in a brooder this size?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by happyhens, Feb 18, 2008.

1. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    How many chicks can I raise in a brooder that is 4 ft. X 4 ft. X 3'H? I want to raise them in that until they are feathered out enough to go to the big chicken's coop (6 wks.?) Thanks!

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Starting off the peeps will need 1/2 square foot per bird. You have 16 square feet in your brooder, so 32 to start, however by the time they are 4 weeks old they need 3/4 square foot per bird, and by 8 weeks they will need 1 square ft per bird. I would think 15 chicks would work well. Most folks crowd more than I would. I'm sure others have a opinion. This is what I recommend for 16 square feet. Good Luck.

bigzio

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I agree with bigzio on how many would safely fit in that size brooder for that length of time ....chicks won't feather out enough by 6 weeks tho...it takes 8 to 10 weeks for fully feathered and then they still need a heat lamp in this weather....

4. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    It won't be in this weather, I am not ordering chicks until spring (mid-march or april). Thanks for the advice! Could I squeeze 20 chicks in, if they can go out in the big coop when they are 6 weeks (since it will be in the spring)? That's how many pullets I was hoping to order, plus some bantams that will be in a different brooder.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    At 6 weeks your adults will pick on them if you put then together. If you can keep them outside by themselves a heat light may still be needed. You can do 20 up to six weeks with the size you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by