1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Many Chicks Can Safely Hatch In An LG?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Faerytalefarm, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Ok, yes I'm using an LG this time around so my question is not about the incubator itself. I just want to know how many chicks you think can hatch in one without it being too crowded? I'm expecting 36 in the this batch to hatch. This is day 16 and they all still look good.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You should be okay with 36. The egg turner made for the LG holds 42 chicken eggs. So just keep a close watch on things as your chicks hatch.

3. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Thanks! I'm hand turning, so I had no clue. It looked somewhat crowded in there so I thought I would ask.

4. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    i run LGs as well. they are good but you do not want your eggs in the same spot all the time rotate positions as well as turning so an egg isnt always under the heating element. also i put sponges under the screen in my lockdown LG and this is the first time I have put one layer of paper towel over the sponges to make hatching mess not so hard to clean up. I microwave my sponges after every lockdown is over and I use only distilled water

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have an LG also. I used to incubate in but I still use it as a hatcher. The turner holds 42 eggs so that is what I put in for hatching. To get the humidity up I use a mason jar with a sponge that acts like a wick. This is just what I do and may not work as well for others. The incubator is sensitive to the climate where ever you live. If the humidity out is high then my humidity runs higher in the incubator when the humidity runs low then the incubator humidity tends to run lower. There has been times when the humidity was quite low so I put two jars in the incubator. I also fill the reservoirs in the bottom of the incubator as well. I like the Idea of the paper towel in the bottom. I tend to use my Hova-Bators as hatchers more as they do have the plastic trays in the bottoms which makes cleaning up after the hatch is over easier and they do keep the humidity better for whatever reason.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  6. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Did you have to add the sponges to increase the humidity? I put paper towels over part of the screen to stabilize the eggs. I'm planning to put small hand towels in place of the paper towels but not covering the entire bottom for the chicks to be on. I know a lot of people on here don't like the LG but I used it for my first hatch this spring and had no issues. I think it does require you pay close attention to it but I would anyways because we are excited about our chicks...

7. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Great info and pic! Thanks guys! [​IMG]

8. Faerytalefarm

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:Yep, I've moved them all over the Bator to avoid the same spot for too long... Great tip though![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by