How many chicks do I need to end up with a good trio?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wordgirl, Jul 27, 2010.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm thinking about doing the Poultry project next year in 4-H and I think I want to do a breeding pen, which would be two hens and a cock. Right now I'm thinking I'd like to do Silkies, maybe Splash. If I get them as chicks from a breeder, how many would I need to get to end up with a show-worthy trio? There was one 4-H resource I found that said you should take two or three cocks and seven-eight hens a couple of weeks before show and watch them for a few days to see which ones were the most show-worthy. But if I get unsexed chicks that would mean at least fifteen chicks (to get that many hens) or more, and I don't think I want very many. If you're getting them from a show breeder, is it safe to get not so many?

Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know, but it is important to get them from the right breeder. So many silkies out there are pet quality. You may be better off purchasing a trio from a reputable breeder of show silkies.

I don't have silkies (they are not my thing), but I do browse the hatching eggs section here, and I've seen some nice ones. (Don't know if they are exceptional quality or not, but they look great to me)

Sonoran Silkies, oldtimegator and cjexotic have some beautiful silkies. Search the auction archives and you can browse their auctions and see pictures of their stock.

3. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    What new2chooks said- very wise!

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:You following me again? [​IMG]

5. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    What do you think of Amy Piehl's (destiny_56085) stock? She's in my state, so she would be easier to get birds from (and cheaper than shipping them).

6. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Why not start with a proven trio of adult birds? Then you can breed selectively from there. The proven trio would take some of the guess work, time, and exspense out of growing out so many birds, that may or may not turn out to be what you want. You may spend more up front, but I believe in the long run it would be more cost effective and less time consuming. JMPO [​IMG]

7. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Amy Piehl is awesome!!! I have 21 chicks from her and they are georgeous. I can't say enough good things about her. I would definitely buy some started birds from her so you know the sex. You are sooooooooo lucky you live near her! I'm jealous! [​IMG]

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    go to a show this fall and see if any breeders a selling a Trio.

If raising chicks try to raise at lest 3-4 chicks for every one show Q chicken you want (this with the chicks coming Show Q breeders)

10. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    If you get from me, you either buy chicks and take your chances there, buy mediocre pet to breeder quality culls from my growout pens, or you will pay through the nose for top end show quality stock (if available). I usually have a waiting list on chicks from december through june usually. Some culls available when I weed out pens. Sometimes a few quality youngsters available in the fall. If you want a decent trio, I suggest getting at least 20 chicks of the same color. I save back hundreds in my growout pens all year and by the time fall rolls around, I might only have 1 out of 10 that are good enough for me to call show true show potential. I am also extremely picky though too.

The fall shows are Oct. 8-10th in New Ulm and Oct. 22-24th in Hutchinson. We have one of the top silkie judges in the nation coming up for the New Ulm show.
    Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by