How many chicks do you keep in a backyard coop?

Denece&Lacey

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Alvord, Tx
I was just wondering. I ordered quite a few recently and I didnt know if I am in over my head. I got a good deal on 95 banties and 25 Polish so i just dont want to be in over my head. I am thinking I am!!!!!
D.gif

no your never in over your head if you have any trouble just post it and you will get the help you need if its too small make it bigger

Last edited:
A few questions :
Are you in town: IF so, do they allow chickens?** Many towns will not allow you to have chickens and if they do they have a mim. and/or they don't allow roosters. You can find this out by calling your local gov. offices.

How big is your coop and run? **Standards need 10" of roost space, 4.5 sq ft. of coop space and 10 sq ft of run place PER bird! Bantams will take about 1/2 this space.

How close is your nearest neighbors?

Are these laying hens, show or meat birds?

Feed is expensive for that many birds...check out your local prices and figure up how much it will ciost to feed them...Dixie

Last edited:
I live in a very small town. I have had 2 goats back there before!!! The chickens are banties except 25 of them are standard polish. They arent even hatched yet. I will get them next Thursday. I will be finishing the coop in the meantime. The barn I think is a 12X18 that I am keeping them in. I have part of the fenced in section done. The outside part will be pretty big. My neighbors down the street do have chickens because i have heard the rooster more than once. We live in a town of about 1,000 people!!
big_smile.png

That is a whole lot of chickens-wow!
My calcualtions are as follows with 5sqft for bantams and 10sqft for standards:
you have 216 sq ft in your barn
95 batams need 475 sq. ft.
25 standard polish need 250 sq. ft
You need 509sqft more!
You'd better get out there and build some more coops
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Are these chicks or hatching eggs coming to you? Shipped eggs usually have lower hatching rates, and even with local eggs, you most likely won't end up with all of those chicks.

Ooops-meant to edit above post
roll.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wondered where the measurements per chicken came from. Honestly my hens are always clustered together, especially at night on the roost. We made them plenty of room and they never use it. I guess if you don't have a run area and they are always in a coop that would be different, but being realistic, I think the socialness of chickens makes them more prone to sticking together in one area.

Have you ever noticed people in an office building. They spend most of their time in the 9 sq ft occupied by their desk chair, plus clustered around the watercooler/snack-machines and in the washrooms. Sure, a certain amount of extra space is needed for physical storage of office items, but look at all of the vacant floorspace that goes unoccupied by people at any given time. It's staggering! What a waste!

Clearly, people (being social and, at least among officeworkers, basically sedentary in nature) do not need anything NEAR the amount of space provided in a typical office building. Even your average cubicle contains several times the user's own body area that is almost never being used (a better deal than your basic battery chicken gets, btw).

And hey, what about those hallways too. People typically walk single-file or move over to make room for others to go past, just sort of do that automatically without getting bothered by it. Pointless to have so much width to the halls. You could put extra cubicles there! Wouldn't affect anyone. My gosh, why are we wasting money/energy building such vast palatial spaces when clearly office workers would be just as happy with one third, or one tenth, the space we typically give them. All they need is space to comfortably stretch their assorted body parts and move past each other.

I am assuming there are enough cubicle-dwellers out there to get my point
wink.png

I do not think that knowing how much space chickens should have is at ALL simple, btw.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom