How Many Chicks to a Bar

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by RowdyNo, Nov 28, 2013.

1. RowdyNo

RowdyNo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2013
    Cheney WA
    I'm working on a new coop design and am trying to figure out what my new flock will need as far as room goes on the roost.

Hopefully we will be able to have 19 hens and a rooster.

The current plan has the roost section at 4' deep by 5' wide, assuming 12" between bars, I'm planning on having 4 bars.

Will that be enough space for the amount of birds I'm planning on?

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I have 18' of roosting space for 17 birds, 4 bars...they use half of that. ;) I think the general rule of thumb is 1 foot of space per bird but mine try to squish onto one or two bars.

2 people like this.
  3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    I allotted a minimum of 12 in. per bird for roosting space. They seem to use less than that as they like to bunch up. Except one gal who prefers to roost on a little platform that's really part of the gangplank. However, she lays a huge egg every day so I let her get away with it. ;-)

1 person likes this.
  4. RowdyNo

Nov 28, 2013
    Cheney WA
    Excellent! Thanks so much! I figured that was about how it would work. :)

5. RowdyNo

Nov 28, 2013
    Cheney WA
    If they lay well, they deserve to be a little spoiled. ;)

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I provide 1 foot of roost pole per bird but I think only 12 inches between roost poles encourage squabbling and pecking over roosting spots at bed time.

But then again I am not a chicken so what do I know?

2 people like this.
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Mine squish up all together now that it's cold, but the 'extra' room allows positioning, alternatives and when it's hot they won't be cuddling as much.

2 people like this.
  8. RowdyNo

Nov 28, 2013
    Cheney WA
    That's something else that I'm concerned about because the summers can get really hot. I've been toying with the idea of adding an extra bar or two over the nesting boxes to give the ladies options--especially those who will end up on the bottom of the pecking order. But I read somewhere that you want to keep the roost as far from the nests as possible. :/

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You just want the roost (bar) to be higher than the nests, but it can be over them....as long as the nests have covers so poop won't land in them.

2 people like this.
  10. RowdyNo

Nov 28, 2013
    Cheney WA
    Excellent! I was going to put a slopped cover on the nests anyway, placing the bars over that should be no problem at all. Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by