How many chicks?

Teacherpea

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this site, and I'm also brand new in the world of chickens. I've been asking my husband for about 5 years if we could raise them, and he finally said yes! I've been reading and reading trying to figure out what all I am supposed to do. I've read that for a family of four it is recommended that a person has at least two chickens per person. Is that true? Is that too many to start with? I am thinking maybe 5-6? Any thoughts and advice are both appreciated! Thank you~
big_smile.png

No reason you can't start with 8, or 4, or 30..it's up to you and what space you have available and what size of coop you can fanagle.

I think 5-6 is a good way to start. If you want more you can add them later. But I would make the coop much larger than you think you need. Chicken Math hits really hard.

Do you think 5-6 is enough for a family of four (We really love eggs!) with some to share?

In my view, it is much, much easier to start with a few more than perhaps needed. It's dead easy to re-sell pullets or young hens. Plus, unfortunately, the occasional loss is just part of this deal. All this is much easier than not getting enough and then having to integrate new birds from the outside. Just my take.

A few extra eggs? Great gifts, use for bartering or selling too!

Back
Top Bottom