1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How many?? Coop size argument

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

This weekend, we started on my coop remodel--it's going to be doubled in size. The finished coop will measure 8 ' wide by 16' long. Runs will be located on three of the four sides of the coop. There will also be a center area for feed storage or isolation from the other birds (not a quarantine area, obviously but something for an injured bird, raising chicks, etc). My husband thinks that I will only have room for 5 large breeds in that area. I think 6. Keep in mind that I have pairs or trios of my birds. I do have some large (heavy breeds) but I also have sumatras which are not as large as say, my cochins...

Of course, this is coming although this way because I got rid of a few breeds and then another breed that I did not count because I thought the person I traded with back in FEB and hadn't heard from was not going to follow through the trade--suddenly, I get an email this morning that the eggs are shipping TODAY. I'm very attached to ALL of my birds I have left and cannot foresee having to get rid of yet another breed to make room for these--so I'm trying to convince my hubby that I can "fit" 6 large breeds into a coop that size...

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    ?

6 breeds X 3 of each = 18 birds. 8 X 16 = 128 sq ft, which at 4 sq ft per bird = 32 birds. Sounds like you have plenty of space. I assume you separate your breeds, so I would think it is just a matter of the logistics of keeping them separate, which depends on how things are divided up.

I would probably have to sit down and do a scale drawing of everything, then see if I could figure out how it could be modified for your 6 breeds, but that's just me.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Thank you! I'm working on something I can scan....

4. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Quote:Keep in mind that 4 sq feet per bird is the minimum suggested space requirement. More space is always better [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Keep in mind that 4 sq feet per bird is the minimum suggested space requirement. More space is always better [​IMG]

Oh, absolutely agreed, and I have a good deal more, plus really a good deal more of run. Guess I need to learn to say that....

6. Rare Feathers Farm

That is true...some of them are fairly light/small (flighty) and need more vertical than actual floor space....

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Oh, absolutely agreed, and I have a good deal more, plus really a good deal more of run. Guess I need to learn to say that....

Yeah, I was not counting the runs at all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by